K1500 bed replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michaelgeo

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question or if it has been covered already in another thread. I am needing to swap the bed on my 1996 k1500 extended cab with a short bed. The bed has rusted to the point that it is falling apart and no longer functions properly. I have looking around in my area for beds that are In decent shape that will be a direct replacement and I finally came across a good looking bed from a 1992 k2500. My question is, are the 1500 short beds and 2500 short beds of this generation cross compatible?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys can offer!

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1992 and 1996 Beds should be identical as long as they are short beds. Lots of 2500 were long beds so measure them. The length will be different. Width is identical

1989 up to 1999 were the same body style. There was a step side short bed made also but it’s distinctive. As long as you’re comparing Dually long bed thusly long bed, fleetside long bed to long bed, fleet side short bed to short bed and step side to step side

(fleetside is the typical flat side bed on a truck)

Reaction score
Make sure you disconnect the ground strap located near the fuel filler door. I neglected to do that when I swapped an '88 bed onto my '94. I was able to use the one from '94 which was still intact, but it's just an unnecessary step that you shouldn't have to deal with.