K&N Vs Volant CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Case182

Reaction score
I'm currently running the K&N Cai in my '97 vortec. It's an open box CAi so it just sucks in the hot air from the engine bay. I'm wondering if Volants closed box CAI actually helps with running the engine cooler since it pulls the air from the hole in the fender like the stock box. Anyone running Colants CAI here?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did on my old truck... Could never get it to seal right on the TBI so I tossed it. Something wrong with how they designed it so it doesn't sit right and there's nothing to hold the gasket from moving. Wasn't impressed. K & N filters are junk FYI... There's much better out there (OE GM, Amsoil, and NAPA Gold come to mind).

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I just ordered a volant intake today, the tube going to my air box was slightly messed up on the end so it gave me an excuse to buy one. I dont like K &n because I know I will over oil it and it'll just get sucked into the throttle body and cause problems.

I can give an opinion on if it does anything or not. I gotta 97 Chevy as well.

Case182

Reaction score
Anyone getting cooler temps running the closed box vs the k&n open "Cai"?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone getting cooler temps running the closed box vs the k&n open "Cai"?

I'd imagine that would be hard to measure properly unless you had a climate controlled garage to take the readings in while the engine was running. I'm curious to know myself, though. I run a K&N on my truck but I got rid of the oiled filter that came with it and now run an Amsoil Ea. The K&N filters flow very well, but they don't actually filter much. I'd be running a Volant instead if they made one that fit the V6, and I'll definitely be buying a Volant whenever I decide to upgrade the Suburban's intake.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Junk it and go back to stock unless you like the look.

Sent from somewhere between here and there

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Got one on my 95 Tahoe 350 TBI fits great

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

hmm I really want to figure out if it will fit with 3" body lift. if it fits stock and it fits with a tbi spacer and bigger intake, I think it might work with the 3"BL as long as you run a tbi spacer.