Open Element question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are the mirrors some old “street scene” product, or just some cheap knock off?
They were a really terrible set of knock offs, as far as I could tell. Unpainted black plastic and really flimsy. That was the only non-stock item on the truck, other than the upside-down stereo install with the wires run loose all over the floor.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought the truck from a dad that I guess had got tired of bailing his kid out of trouble. As you can see the truck had been ran into a pole which bent the bumper, hood, core support, radiator, etc. and miraculously the grille popped back into shape. Kid removed the hood and kept driving the truck. When dad finally took the keys away it sat for a while, and without the hood, so rainwater pooled on the air cleaner and leaked down into the throttle body. When I bought it, the throttle blades were corroded shut. No amount of soaking in anything would free them up. Fortunately, I later scored another truck with a bad 4.3 and pulled the throttle body so I could fire up this truck, and it actually ran quite well. Someone was very happy to get that engine to replace their worn-out one.

Richard

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cowl hood is mostly just for looks. It does help with cooling when you're not moving or in slow traffic, but at any speed the air's going in there and not out. You have to have it sealed to the airbox entirely for any performance gains.

I had a truck years ago that was TBI, open element filter and a 4" cowl hood. Put 60-70k or something like that, and even after I put the 406 in it, didn't notice a difference. Sounds cool when you floor it...

Should hear my play truck, Blueprint 306 with intake snorkels into the cab. Those secondary's make some noise.