Just how hard is it to replace a Power Steering Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Im curious. Ive been driving with little to no power steering for almost 4 months now and i went ahead and bought a new pump and going to rent a pulley puller and probably tackle it this week. :rockit: I just want to know what im getting myself into,

to those that have replaced em, was it hard? and how long does it take?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not too bad, take care not to booger up the high pressure line on the pump, loosen it before you remove anything because its a pain to try to hold it still later. Its never fun working on the bottom of the motor of a lifted truck, you have to reach for everything. Remove the fan and shroud to give yourself some room, check your water pump while your in there. When you rent the puller make sure all the threads are good before you leave so you dont have to go back, rental tools take a beating.
Jack up truck and turn wheel lock to lock a few times before you start truck, keep plenty of fluid handy after you crank it the first time. If fluid gets foamy let it sit a few minutes and add some more.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't miss an important part of the bleeding process, to prevent damage to your new pump. Steps 2 through 4 are more important than you might think. This way you're getting fluid into the system before you ever load down the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I take the entire bracket that the power steering pump is mounted to off. Some people try to take the pulley off while the pump is still mounted in the truck. Looks like a freaking pain in the ars to me. There are two bolts that you cant see from the top very well, but one will be underneath the pulley just run your hand around the mount and you can feel it. The other one is pointing outward toward the driver side tire, the bracket will pretty much fall off when you have all the right bolts out. I remove the high pressure line off of the steering gear box, its lots easier then trying to get it off the pump. When pulling the pulley off don't force it, if you do your doing it wrong, they come off pretty easy with a puller and a half in air gun set to the low setting. If your a moron this will be a really hard undertaking for you. Your pretty mechanical so it will be fine, nothing hard just a little time consuming being its your first, the second one you do will be lots easier. You got it man!!!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
^^^ Pretty much sums it up, But I don't take the whole bracket off. I take the pulley off in the truck, and then loosen the main bracket to remove it. Most of the time I can get them done in less that 45 minutes.

But it is pretty straight forward job.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
You have to take the pulley off an 88-95, there is a bolt holding the bracket on behind the pump.

It isnt that big of a deal if you have the puller, just remove fan shround, remove belt, remove pulley, remove the 3 bolts holding pump, undo the lines and replace.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys. I totally forgot the bleeding process but I actually did it un-intentionally when I started it and heard it make a funny sound so I killed it and filled it up more and started it again, the funny sound ended up being my flashlight fall off into the engine bay. lol. .

took me 6 hours but she steers like a new truck! second time should be easier I hope. the part that sucked was when I put the pulled back on and realized I left the mounting bolts out. That wasnt fun lol. But I got it all. Hopefully I wont have to do it again, Too messy and time consuming but im glad she steers fine!

Thanks again for the help everyone!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys. I totally forgot the bleeding process but I actually did it un-intentionally when I started it and heard it make a funny sound so I killed it and filled it up more and started it again, the funny sound ended up being my flashlight fall off into the engine bay. lol. .

took me 6 hours but she steers like a new truck! second time should be easier I hope. the part that sucked was when I put the pulled back on and realized I left the mounting bolts out. That wasnt fun lol. But I got it all. Hopefully I wont have to do it again, Too messy and time consuming but im glad she steers fine!

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Good. While its still fresh in your mind you can come replace mine!