Just a little problem or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Man the other day like a week ago it was the coldest day of the year so far and the wind was blowing directly into my 98 sierras front grill toward the battery for like 12 hours. and it was brutal.

the battery was full because it was actually charged a few days prior and I have a very good charger.

all of the cables were replaced 2 years prior because they disintegrated. some I made but I bought the positive cable to the starter and to the alternator.

it also got a new alternator at the same time because thats where the problem started.

the battery is good and has always worked, I just charged it up as a part of normal maintenance as the sierra dosent get started a whole lot until its firewood season.

except that day. it was cold! I tried and tried and friggen nothing! just a click.

I was pissed but jumped in my Burb and hooked up my dump trailer instead as I had firewood to do.

go to work, get the job done.

the next day I grab my charger and run the extension all the way out to the truck but right before hooking it up I tried to start it one more time and it starts!

I didt even open the hood.

it was still cold but we didn't have the wind.

I think the battery was just cold as hell!

Go explain that one. almost the whole entire replaceable parts have been replaced.

it's possible that the fault is in the ignition switch though and that one would take some measuring of voltage while it is failed with the key in the run position.... and not the best ot smartest way of troubleshooting but I cant think of another way.

I do indeed have the service manuals, just havent needed them.

mkcustoms881

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man the other day like a week ago it was the coldest day of the year so far and the wind was blowing directly into my 98 sierras front grill toward the battery for like 12 hours. and it was brutal.

the battery was full because it was actually charged a few days prior and I have a very good charger.

all of the cables were replaced 2 years prior because they disintegrated. some I made but I bought the positive cable to the starter and to the alternator.

it also got a new alternator at the same time because thats where the problem started.

the battery is good and has always worked, I just charged it up as a part of normal maintenance as the sierra dosent get started a whole lot until its firewood season.

except that day. it was cold! I tried and tried and friggen nothing! just a click.

I was pissed but jumped in my Burb and hooked up my dump trailer instead as I had firewood to do.

go to work, get the job done.

the next day I grab my charger and run the extension all the way out to the truck but right before hooking it up I tried to start it one more time and it starts!

I didt even open the hood.

it was still cold but we didn't have the wind.

I think the battery was just cold as hell!

Go explain that one. almost the whole entire replaceable parts have been replaced.

it's possible that the fault is in the ignition switch though and that one would take some measuring of voltage while it is failed with the key in the run position.... and not the best ot smartest way of troubleshooting but I cant think of another way.

I do indeed have the service manuals, just havent needed them.
Makes sense about the cold weather , we were experiencing some cold temps also up here in Canada and also my truck does not get driven everyday as I car Poole with a co-worker

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this when the bolt on the battery clamp came lose-I couldn't start it for days and finally tightened it up and it fired right up. To my defense I pressure washed it when it happened so I searched in another direction altoghether(grounds,starter).

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-01-25-23-34-26.png
    Capture+_2022-01-25-23-34-26.png
    2 MB · Views: 23

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I had this when the bolt on the battery clamp came lose-I couldn't start it for days and finally tightened it up and it fired right up. To my defense I pressure washed it when it happened so I searched in another direction altoghether(grounds,starter).
Same one came loose on mine. Hate those stubby lil ********.