Job smart flux core junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Anyone used a job smart fiux core welder from tractor supply? They are fairly cheap and I'm just getting into welding to practice. I don't need anything fancy, just something to make it stick together. I'll be getting one on a limited budget....

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flux core welders dont weld pretty, but they get the job done, as long as its a small job. You wont be building any trailers with one, thats for sure. Muffler work, small brackets, body work, frame repairs, 4 wheeler/atv stuff, and the day to day things from just being a guy who owns a truck and breaks a lot of things, a flux core is great.

I have a $700 lincoln mig welder, add 500 for a spool gun to weld aluminum and 300 for tanks and shielding gas and I have over $1500 into mine, and all I use is flux core wire. Go figure. I rarely use over 80 amps and I think the welder you mentioned is 90 amps. Get it, use it, and when you get ready, sell it for about $20 less than you paid for it to get a bigger one.
If you have never welded before then start saving up scrap metal to practice with. Its all about wire speed and amperage, the rest comes with practice.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
I've welded in the past, more stick than anything. With wire welding, I have a hard time setting it up. If it's already set up, or someone that knows how, it's a breeze for me. I've perfected the art of slag cleanup and grinding welds too :lol: I know flux core isn't pretty. Just to do small truck repairs and play around with stuff. Anything I need to get fancy with, my dad has a mig and tig. I just wanna have my own "toy" if you will.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No experience with that welder but flux core can look good if you know what you are doing. My flux core welds look better than most people's MIG welds.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've welded in the past, more stick than anything. With wire welding, I have a hard time setting it up. If it's already set up, or someone that knows how, it's a breeze for me. I've perfected the art of slag cleanup and grinding welds too :lol: I know flux core isn't pretty. Just to do small truck repairs and play around with stuff. Anything I need to get fancy with, my dad has a mig and tig. I just wanna have my own "toy" if you will.

The setup takes practice, every machine is a little different. Some only have one knob for both speed and amps, I dont know if thats good or bad though. Expect to use about 2 small spools of wire before you lay a bead that is "pretty". Maybe more maybe less, my son could weld pretty after about 30 minutes of playing with some old bed frames, when he was 12, as long as I set it up.

If my dad had a mig/tig I would spend NO DOLLARS on a flux core only welder. Like I said, they get the job done, but if you have access to the good stuff you are better off buying safety equip and supplies. The good stuff is, well, gooder!

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
He's got them, but it's not something I can go pick up and play with whenever I please. He keeps and uses them at work, and has to bring them home when needed so it's not like he can bring it home randomly just to play with it when he needs it the next day.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh. Thats not the same. Pick one up, get a decent hood too. Take a class if ones available, learning from someone who knows is key, it avoids bad habits.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
He can help me with all the safety equipment and supplies. He gets huge discount prices.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Lincoln set up for flux core. Flux core can weld just fine and get penetration if you have a welder that has the adjustments for wire speed and amp AND the biggest most important is a CLEAN electrical source. Using house power I get ok welds but its weak.
I turn in my 7000 watt generator and I get the clean deep welds.