Jeep shaft installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Actually they do separate, I took mine apart and cleaned it with a wire brush on a grinder wheel, then deburred it, and put it back together and greased it with never sieze.

This ^^^ is what I did too. I heated mine up with a tiger torch. Took like 2 minutes.

I put one of these in my '97. Posted the results somewhere in this thread.
Apparently, the '97's & '98's are the same. For some reason, the shaft ends up having a lot of play at the firewall. The front-end tech drove my truck from the front of the shop, to the rear. As soon as he got out, he popped the hood and grabbed the shaft & yanked up & down on it. Lots of movement there. Told me that the Jeep shaft will not work on these years ('97, '98) just for that reason he showed me. He said it creates a 'dead' spot in the steering, because instead of the shaft twisting the steering box gears, it's using some of the input to move the shaft up & down. Wasted motion, causing a vagueness when at the center of the steering position.
Hey, he's the tech, & I've gone through 6 alignments, at 4 shops to find these guys. From their rep & the different vehicles they work on, such as the high-end $200,000.00 hot-rods, & the the vehicles that do serious track time, these guys are supposed to be the best around. Nothing but praise from the guys that let me work on their vehicles, so I guess that they know what they are talking about.