Jeep shaft installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To avoid confusion, this mod was done on my '89 RCSB not my current '97 Tahoe. If I can delete the rag joint safely and cheaply on my tahoe I will update this. Until then assume this only works on 83ish-94 trucks and suv's.

I'm not sure exactly where this goes so I'm putting it here. Got my jeep steering shaft installed today. This is by far the best mod I have done to my truck yet. Mainly because I had pretty bad play in my steering. I pulled the shaft from a 92 Cherokee. I followed this thread http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...how-i-got-rid-my-steering-slop-cheap-obs.html

There is supposed to be a thread here about it too, but I haven't found it.

Kyle found the thread here, it was a SS steering box thread that had this info included in it.

I'm sorry. It wasn't a thread about the shaft, but it turned to that. The thread started as an SS steering box thread

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?8951-SS-Steering-box/page5

I rag joint shaft was nice to me, it collapsed pretty easy. Very slight taps from the baby ball peen hammer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Out with the old.

Blue bottle persuasion got the jeep shaft apart.

Cleaned it up on the wire wheel, and test fit the top.

Marked the spot to grind the steering column shaft to clear the bolt.

Tested the bottom, it worked great, added some grease and put the shaft together. Bolted it all up. Super easy and 90% of the steering play is gone now

Finished

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, great pictures and detail.

Last edited:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
No offense but there's another thread with all the info on it that would be a little better sticky.

And Nate, pretty good mod for $8. One day I'll do it :lol:

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea this is not sticky worthy, I just wanted to give my opinion and experience.

Yea Kyle it was great, I had everything I needed except the grease, but it will be used on other projects too so I'm not counting that cost in this mod. :D

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I didn't mean to offend you. I'll find the thread, it's a great mod to do it seems, everyone that's done it, loves it. Plus it's cheap

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its great to change lanes now on the highway without actually having to move my hand more than a fraction of an inch. Before I had to move it a good 2-3" and then correct the opposite way when I got in the lane. :nono:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya im definately picking one of these up next time I got to the pick and pull