J.R.'s Trailblazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Yeah, that's right, a Trailblazer lol. I was asked for a build thread on it, so I'll try to comply. There are more hardcore ones than mine out there, offroadtb.com is a great resource if you have a GMT360.

So let me start off by saying, I'm not a brand loyal person. Not at all, not even a little bit. I have no promotional consideration, GM/Ford/Toyota don't provide me with free vehicles, parts, or checks. I am however, and engineer. So I can look at something critically, break it down into it's component parts, and weight the pros and cons of it.

So last year, I was looking for a replacement to my Yukon, it was a 96, basically stock. I had done maintenance and basic upgrades to it for reliability, but it was riding on 285's and largely stock. It had 297,000 on it, and it was just past the point of making sense to put further money into. I used it to go back and forth to work mainly. I did light offroading and trail running with it, I relied on it in bad weather (I live in West Michigan, it normally snows alot here), I used it to haul trailers and parts about sometimes, it was a true, general purpose vehicle for me.

So, in looking for a new vehicle, I knew I wanted something smaller, the Yukon was a challenge in the woods, alot of metal, alot of windows. So that put me on mid-sized vehicles. Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4 Runner. I wanted something less than ten years old as well, and I needed to be able to pay cash for it. Somehow, I got onto the subject of Chevy Trailblazers as well.

The Durango, has an available V8, but a not so great torsion bar front (I was all too familiar after ten years of Yukon ownership lol). Jeep Grand Cherokee, had no frame, and most in my price range had the hit or miss 4.7 in them. Nissan Xterra, man this one was good. There's a surprising amount of aftermarket support for the platform, parts are fairly cheap, and it was in my price range. The downside was the power, they make like 210 hp.... Booo... There's a SC version, but then you're buying premium for your DD, also Booo.

So in comes the Trailblazer. Mine is a regular one, or a short one, with a 5.3. It has a frame, it has coilover front suspension, it has heated leather, XM, balh blah, all the things you want in a daily when you daily 75+ miles lol. So I settled on it after some reading at Offroadtb.com, in spite of a few shortcomings, mainly limited aftermarket, and a goofy, balljoint over top of the tire front end, not mention an oddball 6 on 5 bolt pattern, that it only shares with other GMT360's.

So here it is the day I bought it, silly running boards and all. It was so low, they were only good for tripping over.

You must be registered for see images attach

I went and took a little offroad trip, it brought out some shortcomings,

Mainly, street tires, zero ground clearance, and a resonator and spare that act as land anchors,

The resonator and spare were easy to fix, I cut them off lol. The tires, not so much. The GMT360 has an upper balljoint located over top of the tire. So you can't get a larger than stock tire on, because it will hit the upper balljoint. Thankfully there's theliftmeister.com , who offers wheel spacer's, adapters to the more common 6 on 5.5 pattern, and mild lifts.

Some 1.5 inch spacers gave me the clearance I needed,

To go up to a set of Goodyear Duratracs,

In preparation to try to squeeze them on with no lift, I removed the front bumper cover and trimmed the impact bar,

Then i went and got stuck again, Street tires FTL,

So I put my new Duratracs on and ventured down to Bundy Hill, my local ORV park,

Somewhere in there I picked up my 75 F100 also, and yes, that is a 66-ish Chevelle on a boat trailer in the background,

I got tired of my tires rubbing nonstop, and put on a 3" lift from theliftmeister.com, along with a set of Bilstein HD struts,

Sometime in the summer, my front axle disconnect bit it, and the axle seal and bearing were toasted, so I put in a Trailblazer SS rear (14 bolt, SF), geared to 4.56 with Detroit Locker, and matching gears in the front 7.625 diff,

Since then, I haven't done much but maintenance on it. It runs great, my GF drives it to work daily, it's comfy, plenty of power, decent mileage, goes down every trail we want it to. I think this spring I'll build a winch bumper for it, maybe next year go up in tire size and grab a set of adapters for the wheels, but that's about it. I'm really happy with it.

I drove it down to Arkansas when i bought my C10, in case I needed to tow it home, but I didn't, here they are right down the road from the guy's house where I bought the C10,

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice looking Trailblazer! I have a 2006 as well, except mine's a LS I6 4.2 4x4. I keep mine relatively stock since it's my longer distance vehicle :hmm:

Keep my pickup for nasty offroad stuff. A great reference for my TB I have found is gmtnation.com and trailvoy.com, though Trailvoy has fallen by the wayside I hear.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes a Trailblazer! I've seen some pretty neat stuff done with them.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
There's some out there way gnarlier than mine lol. Mine is a nice driver/weekend wheeler.

Trailvoy is all spam now... And GMTnation has a ton of good info, but I don't hang out there, they're more the HID, 24 inches wheel crowd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to see another lifted TB around! I threw a MarkMC 2" lift, 6 x 5.5" adapters, H3 wheels, and 265/75/16 BFG's on my '05 LS I6 about 5 years ago. I wore out the BFG's after a few years and went with a smaller, more street-friendly tire but those are almost done so I think I'm going to go with another set of big tires.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Glad to see another lifted TB around! I threw a MarkMC 2" lift, 6 x 5.5" adapters, H3 wheels, and 265/75/16 BFG's on my '05 LS I6 about 5 years ago. I wore out the BFG's after a few years and went with a smaller, more street-friendly tire but those are almost done so I think I'm going to go with another set of big tires.

They can get around pretty well!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice TB. The 5.3 ones seem to be very rare around here.
Heres my 05 4.2L with a 2“ rough country on 245's. Everyt time I see a cheap one for sale I'm always tempted to buy it and put the 1 ton axles and some 40's under it.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice TB. The 5.3 ones seem to be very rare around here.
Heres my 05 4.2L with a 2“ rough country on 245's. Everyt time I see a cheap one for sale I'm always tempted to buy it and put the 1 ton axles and some 40's under it.

The only 5.3L's around here are EXT models. So rare to find a SWB with a V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk