J-29193 steering linkage installer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM manual has a reference to using a Kent Moore J-29193 to seat the tapers on the pitman, idler arm and tie-rods.

What advantage does this give? I’ve always just tightened them to spec and run it tighter when required to align the cotter pin hole.

The excerpt below is for 1998 inner tie rods, but the rest of the steering components pretty much have the same language.

You must be registered for see images attach

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I've never seen a GM tech use them. They do it the same way any of us do. Torque to spec, then line up the hole.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm guessing that "tool" is just a tall non-locking nut. I always use a regular non-locking nut to seat the taper then remove it and install the lock nut.

I can't spin the lockout without the taper being seated, as the whole taper turns on me.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the other end is for a socket.

I’ve never had any trouble keeping it from spinning, but I can see that making sense.

They go for $50 or so on eBay. If I saw one for five bucks I’d buy it just to see what it does.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Gotta "seat the taper" to prevent the stud from turning when you try to screw the high-friction self-locking nut on to the stud.

Aftermarket parts often come with castle nuts and a cotter pin, so there's no problem with the high-friction self-locking nut.