ISO Tips for passenger door latch replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My latch doesn't fully close and engage when I close the door, biggest concern to me with the truck right now. Bangs around when I drive and let's in this cold air,I'm not feeling it at all. Tried to find videos but honestly the ones from 1AA never help me (too professional?) And I can't find any for a manual window and manual locks like I have, any help with it? Referring to the piece in the door that latches into the body of the truck.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like the rest of us, you'd need to remove the arm rest, inner door panel, and plastic vapor barrier. Then put your hand up through various holes to disconnect the plastic keepers, remove the rods, and unbolt the latch from the door.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Don't forget to take pictures of where the rods go. If you don't you may run your box of foul language empty before you're finished.
I like to use WD-40 to clean/lubricate door latches although lately I have been using Fluid Film to lubricate after cleaning.
I have found for me dirt/gunk/rat barf in the latches is usually the problem. The 30 year old grease turns into glue as well.
A close second it the springs that rotate the catch seem to break making the latch unusable.

On an Astro van (Momma's daily) I just replaced the latch with a brand new one because they're really hard to access and I never want to do that job again!

I haven't had to do one on our trucks yet but it's gotta be easier than the Astro! I survived that twice so you will be fine!