Is this transmission cooling setup normal/acceptable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using two (half gallon) mason jar with two AN-06 ports in each lid. Each having a 1'2" tube running to the bottom,and the other ports connected to each other. One (tubed) port was connected to trans return line from cooler,and the second jar was filled with new fluid,and connected to hose that actually returned to trans. Clean pan,filter,fluid already installed. Start vehicle,and watch Jar #1 fill with fluid,and displace air into Jar #2 forcing new fluid back into trans. Shutting off engine prior to Jar #1 becoming totally filled. Discard fluid from Jar #1,and refill Jar #2 with fresh fluid. Each time you will see the fluid in Jar #1 become cleaner,and clearer. Until it approximates the color of the new fluid in the jar right beside it.
Clever. Inventive.

I approve of the concept, but I've got no plans to replicate this (I'd want sturdy 2+ gallon containers to minimize the stop-drain-refill-start-repeat, and overall what I'm already doing is working well for me without that hassle.)

I'd be more likely to fabricate some sort of gallon+ capacity funnel to seal to the dipstick tube, so that I don't have to fumble with dumping a quart at a time into the regular-capacity funnel. But even that is no high priority for me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I have already said--what's left in the trans accumulators/servos/fluid passages/valve body/piston housing is INCONSEQUENTIAL. I bet it's less than a quart. Probably half-a-quart. I've never tried to measure what comes out of a transmission that's being disassembled. It makes a big mess, a large puddle on the work bench...but half-a-quart makes a big puddle.

The torque converter will hold multiple quarts. Exactly how many depends on the size of the converter. A bigass 14" converter holds more than a race-ready 10" converter.

Total fluid capacity of the trans, trans cooler, and plumbing is likely to be in the neighborhood of 12 quarts. 11 1/2 quarts of new fluid IS the predominate stuff compared to the half-quart of residual. But let's be really generous--let's say there's ten quarts of new, and two quarts of residual. The new is STILL the "predominate" fluid.

You are over-thinking this.

Agreed! I don't even go that far with it. I drain the pan, change the filter and fill the pan with fresh fluid about every year on my 4L85E and have since I put it in as a used trans with a fresh converter in 2013. Fluid stays bright red and the pan stays very clean with very little fuzz on the magnet. I have a +3 qt deep pan on the 4L85E and that alone is changing more than 50% of the fluid every 10-20K miles.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I have already said--what's left in the trans accumulators/servos/fluid passages/valve body/piston housing is INCONSEQUENTIAL. I bet it's less than a quart. Probably half-a-quart. I've never tried to measure what comes out of a transmission that's being disassembled. It makes a big mess, a large puddle on the work bench...but half-a-quart makes a big puddle.

The torque converter will hold multiple quarts. Exactly how many depends on the size of the converter. A bigass 14" converter holds more than a race-ready 10" converter.

Total fluid capacity of the trans, trans cooler, and plumbing is likely to be in the neighborhood of 12 quarts. 11 1/2 quarts of new fluid IS the predominate stuff compared to the half-quart of residual. But let's be really generous--let's say there's ten quarts of new, and two quarts of residual. The new is STILL the "predominate" fluid.

You are over-thinking this.

Not really overthinking it....
....only asking as many questions as necessary to get a numerical answer to this.

This though is probably the decider. Of the 5.5 litres that in a normal fluid change goes unchanged - what proportion is in the TC and what in the gearbox internals?

As I have already said--what's left in the trans accumulators/servos/fluid passages/valve body/piston housing is INCONSEQUENTIAL. I bet it's less than a quart. Probably half-a-quart.

And there is the answer that let me decide how I want to do my ATF change.
Thanks - genuinely appreciated.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I worked at the auto dealership we had a machine with a diaphragm in it. One side was full of clean fluid, and the other side was ready to accept the old fluid. You put it inline to the transmission cooler. As the transmission pumped fluid into the machine, the clean fluid was pushed into the transmission. It was a nearly perfect transmission flush. If you flushed a car with under 100k miles, it extended the life of the transmission. If you flushed a car over 100k miles, it was a death sentence for the transmission. I won't claim to know the science of it, but I'd be careful trying to flush the fluid. Drain the pan and change the filter every 60k and call it good.