Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstone4964

Reaction score
Hi-

I know this is somewhat of a relative question, but looking for opinions. Recently picked up a 96 5.7 4X4, 219K. Runs well, but needs some work- and that is what I am writing about. I think it may need more work than it is worth. Here's what I'm looking at:

Driveline hum or whine- rear end or U joints?
No AC- compressor missing, so new compressor and flush/fill.
Front suspension needs replaced probably- uneven wear on front tires
Probably needs all fluids replaced- haven't done that yet.
Fuel gauge jumpy- probably needs new pump.
Probably needs shocks.

Body is in great shape- no rust except for a baseball sized spot right behind passenger front wheel. Already put in new windshield and 2 new tires for the rear- rotated the old ones to the front.

At any rate, with what I paid for it and the stuff I've done, I'm into it now for about 3K. I figure about another grand to do the stuff above, between shop work and my own wrenching. That puts me in at about 4K. So am I better off to ditch this one and try to get one in better shape, or bite the bullet and do the work above?

Ultimately I want a reliable mountain/fishing/all around truck to use here in CO. Thoughts??

Thanks!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm at about 5k in my truck, finally have everything working. I wouldn't worry about the jumpy fuel gage unless it's jumpy for no reason. I have a brand new pump in my 97, came with a sending unit, and it still jumps from acceleration/ braking, or parking on a hill. Did on the old one too. If you have a second vehicle I say pick a project every weekend and get it done piece by piece. I think it's worth it, because you're going to pay the more for a truck that runs well, and these trucks are 20 years old. I'd rather do the work and know I have new reliable parts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No AC- compressor missing, so new compressor and flush/fill.
compressor, receiver/accumulator, orifice tube, flush and fill (some people say replace the condenser too)

I'd rather do the work and know I have new reliable parts.
^^^ It's worth the investment and learning curve. Buy only quality replacement parts and your truck will last a long time.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya that's worth it. Any newer lower mileage suburban in good shape will be more plus any car can have issues no matter the mileage. If your in it for 4k you now have a solid runner and no payments to worry about or interest going to a lender.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate car payments, so i'm definitely biased. For what you would spend in the first year of a new (or used) truck on payments, gap insurance, tax/title/license, you can do a ton to your old truck, keep it!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The value of these trucks are slowly going up, and will continue to do so. Is it wort it, yes if your going to keep it. As mentioned, they are easy to work on. Parts are easy to get and fairly cheap. Now if your trying to flip it, and make some money off of it, then no, maybe not.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score