Interior lighting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Chevy 3500 and I changed all the door switches and light bulbs to led. The lights work as they are supposed to but the one issue is that when they are "off", they are on in a dim state. I replaced both door switches. Only the lights on the doors are dimly lit, the rest not too much. Is this normal? They don't drain my battery as far as I know. I don't know what the light fuse or where it is even located at but a little help is much appreciated, thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the downfall of LED"s. They only need a tiny bit of amperage and they will light up. The standard incandescent bulbs take much more to illuminate.
Theres nothing wrong with your truck, or the wiring. Its just not designed for LEDs.
Put the standard bulbs back in.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Theres nothing wrong with your truck, or the wiring. Its just not designed for LEDs.

While that last part is true, I don't believe that's the problem here. At one time I had those lights (and most others) in the cab of my red '97 converted to LED and I never had this issue with any of them. I would suspect that the problem also exists with standard bulbs, it just may be so dim it's not visible. A multimeter reading would verify that.

My first guesses would be a wiring issue or the headlight switch.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had LED's in my truck since 2015 and mine never stay on. However, in my Blazer that has a BCM, when it shuts down the "Inadvertent Power" Relay, my dome lights will be still on but very dimly if I have them switched on.

OP: What kind of bulbs did you put in? Are they multi-diode or single-diode bulbs?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I have to agree with others here. you may have an issue. technically the first reply is correct they don't need a whole lot of amp to illuminate however the issue remains they are drawing power regardless they will eventually kill your battery but unless the battery is weak not likely overnight. there is a fuse for interior lighting. is it all door LEDs lit or just the front two? and what about the foot well lighting? did you change those to LED as well if so are they dim?

Tornexted

Reaction score
I have to agree with others here. you may have an issue. technically the first reply is correct they don't need a whole lot of amp to illuminate however the issue remains they are drawing power regardless they will eventually kill your battery but unless the battery is weak not likely overnight. there is a fuse for interior lighting. is it all door LEDs lit or just the front two? and what about the foot well lighting? did you change those to LED as well if so are they dim?
Yeah, I've had LED's in my truck since 2015 and mine never stay on. However, in my Blazer that has a BCM, when it shuts down the "Inadvertent Power" Relay, my dome lights will be still on but very dimly if I have them switched on.

OP: What kind of bulbs did you put in? Are they multi-diode or single-diode bulbs?

So actually it's both the footwell (very dim, barely even noticeable), the doors (the most obvious), and also the dome light (very dim as with the footwell lights). The LEDs itself are multiple diodes for all of them. They don't drain the battery overnight, but it would be great to know what fuse to remove to shut off all the lights and where that fuse is at. Oh and my vehicle is only a two door truck. I'll be back to read all of the replies.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put LED light fixtures in my garage and shop. With the light switch off, they glow faintly. Not enough light to see, but enough to see the lights.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put all LED's in my Suburban, didn't change door switches, work perfectly, don't see any glow. Also changed all lights in my 2005 Travel trailer, inside and out and they don't stay on. Use so much less battery when we're boondocking. I think they use less power than just one 12volt standard bulb.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
So actually it's both the footwell (very dim, barely even noticeable), the doors (the most obvious), and also the dome light (very dim as with the footwell lights). The LEDs itself are multiple diodes for all of them. They don't drain the battery overnight, but it would be great to know what fuse to remove to shut off all the lights and where that fuse is at. Oh and my vehicle is only a two door truck. I'll be back to read all of the replies.

Remove fuse number 3 (Ctsy) from the interior fuse panel to shut them down... Only thing is, you'll lose your power mirrors as well. Otherwise should be fine. There's definitely a problem somewhere if they're all staying on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Results will vary depending on the exact brand, quality, current draw, etc. of the LED's used. I have seen this exact behavior in multiple applications. 99% unlikely anything actually wrong with OP's truck.

Richard