Installing new radiator. what else should i change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my question is, what else should i replace or take a look at while i am down there? is there a certain radiator brand that i should stay away from?

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will have to say that I havent had the best luck with parts store radiators.....good luck...I have had no less than 6 in mine since it was new in 98...my next one will be an all aluminum one...they can be had on ebay for pretty close to the same as a chinese Auto Zone plastic knockoff.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might aswell do both rad hoses t stat. Not completely nessasary but "while you are there" type thing

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might aswell do both rad hoses t stat. Not completely nessasary but "while you are there" type thing
i changed those out when my water pump went out a couple months ago ha.

well it looks like i will be ordering a delphi. none of the parts store's around me sell em'

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the one from my 69 Chevelle, and it's a drop-in fit in these trucks. It's copper/brass, and the only difference is the filler neck is shorter. It's a 3 core big block radiator. I changed out everything with coolant in it except for the overflow bottle. Radiator, heater core, radiator hoses, heater hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and water pump. How's your fan clutch doing? Any wobble/play in it?

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey man i just ordered a radiator for mine off amazon earlier this week got it today will be putting it in and only changing what needs to be changed

im kinda thinkin why replace it if it aint broke? why spend money on it if it works fine

heres a link to the one i got with trans cooler lines
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073MEJVE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?tag=5336121856-20

came in and looks good will update after install

gonna def get new coolant
some auto trans fluid
and maybe hoses
and some alternate stuff too like hose clamps, shop towels, engine degreaser (to clean engine bay after im done) then a drip/catch can/bowl to catch the fluid

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Not trying to jack the thread, but curious to know, is a 2500 or 3500 radiator bigger, would there be an advantage to swapping them?

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to jack the thread, but curious to know, is a 2500 or 3500 radiator bigger, would there be an advantage to swapping them?

oh i have no idea i have a 1500 and the op has a 1500 so theyd swap. if he has the oil cooler line he would need a dif radiator then the one i linked