Indexing Spark Plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it actually do anything? Is it just a gimmick and waste of time?

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i noticed gas consumption sucks when indexed wrong lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Basically indexing is (clocking) your spark plugs to get optimum performance....it takes awhile to do in a v8.....a 4banger isnt as bad.....but i myself wouldnt go through the trouble in my truck.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question. To have them properly indexed would you want the gap facing up or down?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I guess if your trying to get every last bit of HP out of your motor, it might help. Personally I have never done it to my vehicles. Tried it once with a race car I pitted for, but the driver didn't really notice a difference.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Another question. To have them properly indexed would you want the gap facing up or down?

I think the point is to point the gap as close as you can to the intake valve that way when the fuel and air comes into the cylinder it has the best chance for full burn

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've done this in high compression, high H.P., engines I've owned. An old fart hotrodder showed me how to do this. He told me it was just one more way to maintain firing equality/consistentcy (sp?) across the cylinders. Usually took 2 sets of plugs to get 1 set the same. I was told that the gap should face down.
Did it work? Never noticed on the street. Maybe in the 1/4, in a vehicle that raced in a class where it needed to run as close as it could to it's dial-in, time after time.