ignition coil frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello i have a question about the coil on the tbi engines, they all have a metal frame around the coil that is bare metal and always seems to rust my questions are what purpouse does it serve and can i paint it to keep it from rusting also why is the top of the coil made out of that semi clear white plastic instead of the regular black plastic like the rest of the coil

You must be registered for see images attach

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can coat it with Permatex 81773 Rust Treatment. It's really effective. You can order it from Amazon.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just sand the rust off and paint it with Rustoleum satin black or similar. It's bare metal for cost reasons.

The clear-ish stuff is epoxy; the electrical windings of the coil are "potted" in it. The white plastic sticking out of it is white because...because the engineers that spec'd the materials didn't think anybody would care. ;)

Richard

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks just wanted to make sure i wouldnt mess it up by painting it, cant stand the look of rust especialy under the hood