I want to build a carputer using a raspberry pi and a touch screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a backup camera last week and used a monitor that is built into a rear view mirror and quickly realized that the screen was too small for my liking and when the screen was off the mirror made cars look like they were riding me and there was no perspective. I started looking into a monitor to possibly mount in some kind of pod on top of the dash which then seemed like a waste of a screen when I wasnt in reverse or activating the backup camera manually via the switch. This only left me with one option, to build a carputer and mount a touchscreen to control it in my stereo hole.

I have a few options for configuration.

Option 1: Mount the 7 inch touchscreen in the current stock sized stereo hole which will make me lose a little real estate of the 7 inch screen behind the hole but it wouldnt be much. This would allow me to keep my hvac controls in their same place and I dont have to get rid of my recent brake controller setup in my cd pocket that I spent a lot of time on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Option 2: Move the HVAC controls down to where the cd pocket is which will get rid of that brake controller and then I will have all the space I need but will require a lot of body working the dash and painting that whole dark grey insert.

Option 3: Move the HVAC controls out of that area to somewhere else and keep my alpine head unit but move it to the bottom and put the touchscreen above it so that I just run the audio from the computer through my stereo vs. buying an amp for the output from the computer to drive the speakers and send signal to the amp for my subs.

I am leaning towards option 1 mainly due to time which I have little of. Im going to use all of the setup this guy uses except I would also add a bluetooth module so that I can connect my phone as well as a mini keyboard remote for passengers to use http://engineering-diy.blogspot.com/2014/04/raspberry-pi-carpc-april-2014-updates.html?m=1

It would be pretty slick but maybe Im sold on the novelty and it isnt worth the work haha. Maybe I could find someone who has written code for voice control because I really wouldnt want to have to learn python to do that myself... The more I type all of this out, the more I think ummmmm......maybe there are better things to spend money on.......

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a mount from Amazon for my backup camera monitor. It is custom-fit and sits just below the CD pocket. I can post a pic if you want later today. It has worked very well. I use it for hitching up my travel trailer, and I also have a camera mounted on the back of the trailer for backing into camp spots.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a mount from Amazon for my backup camera monitor. It is custom-fit and sits just below the CD pocket. I can post a pic if you want later today. It has worked very well. I use it for hitching up my travel trailer, and I also have a camera mounted on the back of the trailer for backing into camp spots.
Yes please!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

This is what I want to do in the future: add a camera to the rear of a trailer for back up view.... :D Great minds think alike!

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the monitor:

Here's the mount:

Here's the switch:

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I want to do in the future: add a camera to the rear of a trailer for back up view.... :D Great minds think alike!

Yeah, I like to be able to turn mine on while going down the road to keep an eye on what's happening back there. Some cars like to get so close that I can't see them.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought you meant it was a gmt400 specific pod. I'm getting amped up to do it and I was kind of thinking I would hold off. I have some led black turn signals that I haven't used so maybe I will sell those and some eBay projectors that I had on for a few days so I don't feel bad spending the money.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. The mount is specific to GMT400's; you have to remove the lower bezel and it attaches to some existing bolts. I'm using it for a generic purpose.

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Birchy that mount is exactly what I need. Could you give me the brand name or manufacturer?