I think my valve springs are shot or i got bent push rods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Distibutor phasing issues create spark scatter.
Especially way back when we had points (or dual point) distributors. #1 had to point towards its cylinder for sure! It doesn't seem to matter that much on the TBI computer controlled small cap HEI but, large cap ones - yes. I had a dual point distributor on my 283 that was so temperamental between that and getting the points gapped properly (had to use a dwell meter), it almost wasn't worth having it. My 440 GTX was the same way - block off one set and adjust the other to 18° to get 32° total dwell, ha ha.

Sorry for the reminiscing, carry on :33:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude , Mopar distibutors and ignition sytems.....chevy guys have had much more forgiving systems along the way. More than once" I have this high rpm miss I can't figure out" a lot of times lead right back to the install unless it's a mis machined component in the Distibutor, and I can't say that doesn't happen either. Ive come across reluctor wheels etc that were off enough to be the issue.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Especially way back when we had points (or dual point) distributors. #1 had to point towards its cylinder for sure! It doesn't seem to matter that much on the TBI computer controlled small cap HEI but, large cap ones - yes. I had a dual point distributor on my 283 that was so temperamental between that and getting the points gapped properly (had to use a dwell meter), it almost wasn't worth having it. My 440 GTX was the same way - block off one set and adjust the other to 18° to get 32° total dwell, ha ha.

Sorry for the reminiscing, carry on :33:
You must be an old fart or something. Everything I've ever had was equipped with electronic ignition.......Though I did mention breaker plate lmao..... days of messing with Marine engines with my father. just messin with ya..

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be an old fart or something.
I resemble that remark, ha ha. the 283 was my 1st build in my 63 Chevy around 1972 after it dropped a valve. That's when a buddy of mine found the dual point off a 'Vette. Proceeded to blow that engine a couple more times shortly thereafter :rolleyes:

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brother , easiest way to deal with this is to go through the process to ensure the distibutor gets stabbed correctly, tdc#1, balancer lined up at zero, drop the dizzy in where it supposed to be, f with the oil pump drive gear with a screwdriver till it goes in exactly where you want and is supposed to be. Don't pay attention to the clowns that tell you that you can drop it in where ever and wire the firing order around the cap. Distibutor phasing issues create spark scatter that no amount of adjusting the distibutor or re-timing can correct. You also need to figure out where total advance is ending up at(dial back timing light) because advance is what pulls in spark scatter. At this point "when the timing is all in" is irrelevant, the curve typically is last thing you adjust after everything else is proper.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER, GET THE TIMING NAILED, THEN GO TO THE CARB ADJUSTMENTS.
Nah I wasn't worried about the timing being all in for now. I was just trying to figure out how to get the vaccum canister past the heater line fitting without it hitting anymore.

I don't know who's talking about anyway.
I just wanted to check the condition of the cap and all that. Never hurts to be on top of your game.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that a compression fitting with Teflon tape in it, or a union with Teflon tape in it? Did you kink that metal line on left just above the carb?

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. That high-school boy I bought the truck from put that on there. It's got a messed up bubble flare.
He has metal line for some reason running too those pressure lines for the orginal line.

Last edited:

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But anyways about the distributor. I need one with a melonized cam gear.

or something that works with the l31 cam.
I do have a melonized gear from an EDI distributor not sure if the shaft is the same diameter on the hei.

Last edited: