I think my valve springs are shot or i got bent push rods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valve springs are almost perfectly inline with each other. I started it up and all of them still move. Another thing I don't like is the valve springs and everything else looks too clean. Is it just me being too paranoid?

Attachments

• 20230618_190834.jpg
    20230618_190834.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230618_190822.jpg
    20230618_190822.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 30

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What makes you think something is wrong? A little history on why you pulled the valve covers would also help.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know how to exactly explain this but I answer the first question. But i respectfully refuse to answer the history on why I pulled them. Due to everyone thinking I'm a moron.i dont wanna go into detail on that since the reason is pretty damn dumb. But that's fine It don't phase me.

But anyways I just can't rev past 4000 anymore could be something else could be fuel or weak spark or anything. No noise, compression is good I've checked the distribution it's good. I've checked everything else and i covered every other angle I could think of. I think I'm just being paranoid it is a 6200 pound truck after all.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know how to exactly explain this but I answer the first question. But i respectfully refuse to answer the history on why I pulled them. Due to everyone thinking I'm a moron.i dont wanna go into detail on that since the reason is pretty damn dumb. But that's fine It don't phase me.

But anyways I just can't rev past 4000 anymore could be something else could be fuel or weak spark or anything. No noise, compression is good I've checked the distribution it's good. I've checked everything else and i covered every other angle I could think of. I think I'm just being paranoid it is a 6200 pound truck after all.
describe "checked" Could be a ton of different things but unless there's a solid process for "checked" you haven't eliminated any possibilities. you could be talking about a bad coil, fuel pressure or..... or..... or..... on an endless list up to possibly physical engine damage.

Bent pushrods would be raising hell.

Last edited:

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dude you got so many things going on with that engine for swaps and mods, there is no way you are going to get your answers in a forum. You need to find someone (pro) that can go over that whole thing with you and do some proper diags on it. Most likely the computer cant handle all the incorrect data it's getting.

Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes to look at everything.

I had almost the exact same setup in my 93, a 5.7 vortec block/heads, a 4bb carb intake with the adapter to run the TBI. I seem to recall butterfly/throttle clearance issues with the thin steel adapter. it wouldn't allow full throttle travel. so I tried a 3d printed resin adapter that instantly warped and leaked. I never really got it set up correctly.

You must be registered for see images attach

i forgot to add that my final intention was to put this on the 93... sadly never got to it.. still have the motor and supercharger setup waiting for another project.

I picked up a super cheap 3500hd with 8.1L vortec... it was about to get junked. I never looked back :)

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

I didnt look up your other posts til now and your TBI to Carb thread wasn't that bad honestly. The ending wasn't great but IMO you didn't burn any bridges, you just got frustrated and left. And your back asking for help which means you still respect the members opinions here.

Some people will inevitably argue until their are blue in the face that a TBI is better than a carb but I get why people do the swap... you can bolt it on, set idle vacuum with a flathead screwdriver and vac gauge and be able to drive a modified engine. That looks like the reason why you did that carb swap. Not everybody has the means to fine tune every parameter with a laptop and carbs are still 'good enough.'

If your patient with us asking more questions we can and will help you figure out what is going on. And even if you did do something dumb, generally speaking we wont get on your case about it as long as you admit it was a learning experience and your willing to move on and keep learning how to do it right the next time.

Now, with your other post, it looked like you were having problems with backfiring through both the original TBI and the new carb? I would be looking into that problem first, sounds like an ignition problem... ??? Or was there a valve or all of the valves adjusted too tight...???

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt look up your other posts til now and your TBI to Carb thread wasn't that bad honestly. The ending wasn't great but IMO you didn't burn any bridges, you just got frustrated and left. And your back asking for help which means you still respect the members opinions here.

Some people will inevitably argue until their are blue in the face that a TBI is better than a carb but I get why people do the swap... you can bolt it on, set idle vacuum with a flathead screwdriver and vac gauge and be able to drive a modified engine. That looks like the reason why you did that carb swap. Not everybody has the means to fine tune every parameter with a laptop and carbs are still 'good enough.'

If your patient with us asking more questions we can and will help you figure out what is going on. And even if you did do something dumb, generally speaking we wont get on your case about it as long as you admit it was a learning experience and your willing to move on and keep learning how to do it right the next time.

Now, with your other post, it looked like you were having problems with backfiring through both the original TBI and the new carb? I would be looking into that problem first, sounds like an ignition problem... ??? Or was there a valve or all of the valves adjusted too tight...???
didn't know there was another thread

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the same engine you dumped the TBI for Edelbrock carb and manifold?
You did state it was running good, better than before.
Without knowledge of what happened or what lead you to this to this point, any guesses are waste of time.