I think my valve springs are shot or i got bent push rods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just found it at the wrecking yard that's all I know about it. I don't know if the shaft itself is ac Delco I highly doubt it. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too much total advance will often cause it to fall on its face well before you run into audible detonation. Start about 28* total with the vacuum advance disconnected. Then bump it 2*. Then 1* more at a time. Read the plugs watching for aluminum sparkle. Vortec heads typically make best output around 29-34* total. I had most of my timing in by 2,400 rpm with the vortecs and only added a 5 degrees more up top. I had like 12 initial, timing started advancing at 1,200 rpm, 26* @ 2,400, 29* @ 3,200 and 31* @ 4,800+

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Here's the way the distributor sits now. I'm gonna pull this thing apart and see what I find. I'll be back here in a min

Notice how your distributor is sitting right here, with that square horn sitting way out in front, that is definitely not normal. You out of time, there are lots of great videos out there on how to setup initial timing on a SBC. Your at least a tooth off if you needed to go that far to get initial timing set with a timing light.

Normal:

You must be registered for see images attach

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Notice how your distributor is sitting right here, with that square horn sitting way out in front, that is definitely not normal. You out of time, there are lots of great videos out there on how to setup initial timing on a SBC. Your at least a tooth off if you needed to go that far to get initial timing set with a timing light.

Normal:

You must be registered for see images attach
I see now then the number 1 spark plug wire is facing the carb not the cylinder.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I forgot that I had that heater core hose in the way. Here's the number1 spark plug wire.

Attachments

• 20230701_145024.jpg
    20230701_145024.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230701_144934.jpg
    20230701_144934.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 17

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I forgot that I had that heater core hose in the way. Here's the number1 spark plug wire.
brother , easiest way to deal with this is to go through the process to ensure the distibutor gets stabbed correctly, tdc#1, balancer lined up at zero, drop the dizzy in where it supposed to be, f with the oil pump drive gear with a screwdriver till it goes in exactly where you want and is supposed to be. Don't pay attention to the clowns that tell you that you can drop it in where ever and wire the firing order around the cap. Distibutor phasing issues create spark scatter that no amount of adjusting the distibutor or re-timing can correct. You also need to figure out where total advance is ending up at(dial back timing light) because advance is what pulls in spark scatter. At this point "when the timing is all in" is irrelevant, the curve typically is last thing you adjust after everything else is proper.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER, GET THE TIMING NAILED, THEN GO TO THE CARB ADJUSTMENTS.

Last edited: