I need recomandations steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
I screwed up got a 3f steering box form the big box store. I cant stand it any more. I am ready to rip this out. The steering i awful its heavy and its poor return to center. Who makes a good box? Stock tires I was thinking blue top boxes red head i heard they might have gone down a bit. I am open to ideas i just want this back to where it it should be. I know ill do my tie rods and ball joints

I had my '88 C1500 original rebuilt from redhead. Best decision I made. Like factory new.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a Red Head on my K2500 with a complete rebuild of the front end. New pump and hoses at the same time. Have about 1,000 miles on it after a couple months.

Feels really good. You can perceive that it is more boosted when steering to the right than the left but you can only tell when sitting still. Definitely not enough of an issue to warrant sending the box in for exchange.

Anyway, aside from that little oddity, the Red Head folks were very easy to deal with and sent a good looking product. Got full core refund for my old box that was garbage, truck is a pleasure to drive.

I am usually a cheapskate and tend to roll the dice but the reviews of basically every parts store rebuilt box were so universally poor that I decided to just bite the bullet this time.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What a range i have 280 from blue top 296 from red head 219 from beanch work all three sound like good shops not sure what to do

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forget how much it is ($20-something?) but these gears will fit into a large flat rate USPS box with a lot of tape. It isn’t pretty, but it ships and is under the weight limit.

Something to keep in mind on a core return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like all three are respectable choices

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
One more vote for redhead here. Although I have no experience with blue top, the redhead is fantastic!