I kind of want a 3/4 ton...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All great suggestions! I do like the idea of the 4l80e swap! I am going to start researching that tonight to see what's involved.

Edit: that started to look expensive with finding a donor truck, lol.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I like @df2x4's answer on having more than one truck. Can't have too many, lol.

And yes some parts trucks are expensive, just keep looking, there will one that is in your price range. :)

c4boom

Reaction score
I have had all 3 . I had a 88 heavy half a 89 half ton and a 90 3/4 ton. My current truck is a 1998 heavy 3/4 single rear 1 ton 9200 gvw i think. The one thing with the 1/2 ton i find is the rear axle gets hot and the brakes are lacking when towing close to 6k lbs. I would at least chang the dif oil to a synthetic and probably do the transfer case also. The trans realy needs an aditional cooler. If your truck dose not have a rear sway bar get one it will save your ass on a windy day. Also run upgraded pads like ebc or another high friction pad and do not run cheep rotors. For close to that weight a 6 lug 2500 would work well though but a true 2500 will lower your stress level expecaly with the family in the truck.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just a 1 ton and be done? It's better to have too much truck rather than not enough.

I really didn't want THAT much truck... I will only occasionally tow, I just wanted to be safe while doing it. I would have my son, at the least, riding with me.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been searching for 2 days... within 200 miles, I can't find ANYTHING that doesn't have 270k miles and has been beat to death, or the seller isn't asking a platinum price.

I asked one to send me a pic of the sticker with the RPO codes on it and she thought I was a scammer... *bang head*

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really didn't want THAT much truck... I will only occasionally tow, I just wanted to be safe while doing it. I would have my son, at the least, riding with me.
I don't understand what you mean by "that much truck". Physical size is the same but you get forged A arms, bigger brakes (a lot come with hydroboost) full floating rear end and heavier springs. These are simply stronger components and therefore rated to carry more. I could be wrong but I believe that the frame is also stronger. The difference between a 1500 and a 8 lug 2500 is huge but 8 lug 2500 to 3500 is minimal until you upgrade that camper and your over CGVWR and have to start over with yet another truck.