I kind of want a 3/4 ton...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am trying to buy a bass boat and a small camper to take the family on weekend outings, I am not sure my k1500 (167k) is going to be up to *****...

It came with 3.42's from the factory and did not have a factory towing package. The PO wired it up and added a hitch, but the lack of coolers concerns me.

I don't have any idea what the weight of the boat/camper will be, I just don't know if I am comfortable with the 1500 taking up towing duty in it's current configuration.

The transmission has already started to slightly slip when shifting into second under heavy throttle.

At this point, I think I have two options:

1. I can modify my truck to be a better tow rig...
2. I can find a k2500, crew cab, 4x4 with a tow setup...

I was trying to figure out a good mod list for setting up the 1500 for towing...
Re-gear to 4.10
Add a locker (truetrac)
New leaf springs (4/1 instead of the 3/1)
Factory brake upgrades (need to research the possibilities)
Re run my brake lines since they are a little rusty in the rear.
Replace Transmission
Add Transmission Cooler

Feels like it might be easier to get into a k2500, they are just being difficult to find within 200 miles.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're gonna pull 5k or less no need to sweat a 2500. Gotta finger out what you're gonna pull first.

Looking at the size camper we want, it could be closer to 5800... The boat I am not sweating. My wife's durango has a factory tow package and is rated for 6200. It's the camper that I am thinking about at the moment...

My truck doesn't even have an oil cooler... it has NO extra duty options, lol.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My C1500 does just fine pulling my 20ft inboard boat. I do want to add a transmission cooler though.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Honestly, if your not attached to the 1500, I would really weight the options knowing that the 1500 can be modified to tow more weight but the DOT doesn't recognize those modifications.

Price out what it would take to get your 1500 up to where you want it. Call shops for quotes on re-gearing if you wont be doing it yourself and create a spreadsheet or write everything down on paper. Then figure out how much you can realistically sell your truck for as is. This will give you a budget for how much you could pay for a 'light duty 1-ton' 3/4... aka 8-bolt 3/4 ton with the better 4l80 trans and better brakes, etc.

if the price is close remember that the 3/4 will probably need some maintenance done right away also since it's still an old truck but you will get that DOT sticker also that allows you to tow more legally.

IMO, I'm all for modifying the truck that you have however, in your case I think you would be better off getting an 8-bolt 3/4 and selling your 1500.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
To me those both sound towable with a half ton. If the camper only weights 5800 and the boat weighs less it shouldn't be a problem. The mods you have sounds good. I'd add a 14bolt sf 6 lug as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I agree with RichLo,I've had both and much prefer the added safety and security of a big load on a 3/4t truck.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner of my K1500 Suburban regularly towed an 18 foot bow rider boat that I'm sure outweighs the trailer you're talking about. If your brakes and suspension are in good working order, I think you could handle it just fine with what you have. But I also towed a 3k pound trailer 2400 miles with a 4 banger s10, so I might be a bit reckless.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally gave up the 1/2 ton lifestyle for a 3/4 ton Suburban. I'll never go back to a 1/2 ton. Even if I quit haulin' stuff. On more than one occasion, too many to count really, I overloaded my 1/2 ton out of necessity. Even with a few of the monstrous loads I have hauled with the 3/4 ton, I don't feel like I have ever come close to over doing it. My 1/2 ton's all lived hard stressful lives, giving more than should have been asked of them. My 3/4 ton just floats along doing whatever is asked of it without ever complaining. I also find it much easier spend money on upgrading my 3/4 ton because I know it's always up to the task and it will be around for a long time. All of my 1/2 ton's were only a step in the direction I wanted to go, never quite what I wanted, just adequate enough to be almost satisfied. Even after you spend all your time and money to up-fit your 1/2 ton to do this job, there will come a time when you want a bigger camper, or boat and you will regret not upgrading to the 3/4 ton now, rather than after all the $$$ mods. I have spent at least 15 years kicking myself for passing on that CCLB dually 6.5, and almost that many years looking for another ride that has made me completely happy. I am finally close enough to be content with my 3/4 ton Suburban.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually started looking around at new trucks or even stepping up into a gmt800 since it has a few fixes where the gmt400 suffers. Better brakes would be the huge plus there... I am just not ready to give up my 1500 as a commuter truck for work and occasional utility vehicle when needed... I am going to keep shopping for a tow rig and see what I find. Right now, pickins are slim on FB. I am a pretty picky guy, so I would want something that is in great shape, low miles and not modified.