I have treated myself with a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had another session at the garage today doing some minor fixes.

The first and most important mission was to install this beauty that my multi talented welder friend made for me in order to get both a temperature probe and a pressure sensor into the fuel line:

You must be registered for see images attach

Since the car was staying inside, I also took my time to insulate the wvo tank hoping that it will have a happier life in the winter. I just used a 8mm foam sheet made to sit on in the snow, but I´m hoping it will do me something good:

The last project I finished was to swap out my tail lights. I wanted darker tail lights as I´m planning for the car job become black, and at the same time I could do some modifications to the lighting setup and get rid of the extra turn signal lights added by the Norwegian dealer 20 years ago.

I ended up just ordering tail light housings from eBay and some bulb holders. The turn signal/reverse bulb holder fit the hole in the plastic perfectly, and then I did some minor plastic cutting with a Dremel to be able to add the tail/break light bulbs in the two upper holes:

Some of you might have read that I´m struggling with the new diesel fuel tank. Apparently, the previous owner of the tank had hydralic oil on it that he´d gotten hold of from a plastic fabric. Apparently the tank is full of plastic pellets that blocks my filters. *sigh*

I almost got home when the car died. Managed to drain the first diesel filter a bit and got home, where luckily my latest rock auto shipping had arrived with new pre filters. 15mins later, the car was good to go again!

At last, the sub back home with all 4 tail light bulbs live for the first time in its life! I´ll do more photos of the tail lights once I have some daylight again. :)

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Progress on the wvo system today..or at least so I thought.

Collected the new walbros, and the fittings had arrived, so I was eager to get them mounted!

Got the old pumps out of the car, and measured for the new bracket and made holes to mount it. I was a bit to quick - I´ve mirrored the holes. Luckily I could just turn the bracket upside down and make new holes!

Got the bracket mounted. It will be just two M6 bolts holding the two walbros, but only one of them will run at a time, so I hope it will work out:

The WVO walbro is in place and coolant line zipped to it:

The coolant lines are still running parallel with the wvo from the tank thru the LP prefilter:

Went for a disappointing test-drive after I´d mounted the diesel side pump as well. Only 3-4psi output from the walbros. Slightly higher when I started running veg oil, but it went down as well to around 4psi, and down to 2-3 on WOT. I´m debating where to look for improvements now, and I am really questioning the new hose barbs on the walbros. I´ve put so much work into getting the wvo system running now, so I will have to find a solution! Not giving up!

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long time since the last post now! Been a lot of work, and Aldo the truck has Been running smooothely!

Did an oil change today on 253500kms. Man, what a PITA to get that oil filter off! Had to run to a nearby store and buy more tools, but got it all done!

Something good came out of buying oil from my repair shop. When I greased the points in the front a couple of weeks ago, grease was leaking out on the side. They said it was completely normal and nothing I needed to worry about. im still not sure though - what do you guys think?

I have also spotted some bad rust holes at the frame on the front passenger side. Had a closer look at it today, and it was worse than I thought. I hope the car-welder guy I know is able to fix it for me quickly!

Under, on the inside:

On the outside:

Gave the car a good wash , and as I wrote this, it started raining:

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suddenly found myself with some vacation days again. Sun was shining, and I just couldn't´t resist doing some work on my Suburban!

Fixed some smaller and bigger issues that´s been bothering me:
-Cleaned out the ac blower motor hoping it would cool me down more. It didn't. I really need a gas refill..
-Swappet my grille with a grille from a 95 suburban with less cracks than mine.
-Swapped my tank fill neck, hoping that will fix my minor diesel leak. Next fill-up will show...
-Cleaned the lenses of my offroad lights and swapped the lenses around so they are finally symmetrical.
-Grinded off all the rust that re-appeared around the body, primed and painted it. Hopefully I´ll find time to spray it with rubber paint soon! :)
-FINALLY got around to fix the ugly holes from the rear turn signal lights the Norwegian dealer put on it 20 years ago! It doesn't look the best in the world, but I´m hoping that my rubber paint will take care of the finish once I get around to it! :)

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this weekends "easy project" was adding a boost gauge, and mounting my cab lights that I have had laying around for ever.

I started off on Friday by testing out cab lights positions at home, before driving to the warehouse:

I went to the warehouse and realized my 1/8npt-27 tap was missing. I fabricated some plastic plates to glue to the cab, so I can mount the cab lights in them, and then drove across town to buy some accessories. At the end of the evening, I had happily mounted a boost gauge and broken the ground to my fuel temp sensor, which is quite essential in the veg oil setup.

Saturday therefore become devoted to relocating the fuel filter manager, my vegtherm and my little gauge probe, so I could get the gauge probe out from it´s hidden location under the intake manifold. Fuel filter lifted and twisted 90degrees, vegtherm mounted to top of intake, and the gauges Hidden on the side of the upper intake:

At the end, I had everything nicely hidden under the turbo power hood. Somehow in all the confusion, I´ve unfortunately managed to lose one of the 5 cab lights, so I guess that project is off until I can order a replacement one. Oh well!

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody! Its been a long time since I last posted any updates here- its been a rather busy autumn in every department. I have not been lazy, though! Since the last update on the burb, I've been away for work about four months, and I also spent a month redoing my basement floor tearing out 20 tonnes of clay, concrete and stones. 700kg of concrete in the back of the burb? No problem!

While I was away, I stumbled upon a guy who had just started a rubber spray shop. As I had already bought rubber spray a year ago, I called him to hear if maybe I could rent his place to finally paint the burb. He was up for a deal, and gave me good help, and at the end of the day did the spraying for me. He also added a layer of 2component clear coat to seal it off, so I can still use normal cleaning products to wash my car!

So happy about the outcome. I was determined to keep the chrome grille, but luckily I had a spare grille that I painted black...it´s been on ever since. Still thinking I might switch back to the chrome grille at some point. Or maybe not.

Over Christmas I've parked the burb and pulled it apart with various success..more updates to come imminently!

All soaped in and getting ready for rubber:

First coat of clear rubber on:

Still thinking of putting the chrome grille back on:

And finally this is how it drives around these days:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
If you are keeping the color matched bumper, definitely keep the color matched grille. I was curious to see how a chrome grille looked on my 98 with the color matched bumper, didn't look as great as I hoped.