I have treated myself with a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am back from my work travels, and Ive Been so busy in the garage I have completely forgotten to post updates here. More to follow in longer posts - but here is a picture of the car from this night with a completely new lighting setup! :D
You must be registered for see images attach

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my last post, lots of things have happened since I got back home!

I have made quite a bit of progress on the wvo conversion progress.

Last week, I had a lot of help from a fantastic college who is a multi-talent in everything that can be created, and he helped me weld brackets to mount the wvo filters, lift pumps, heaters and vents. I am "doubling" the setup, so I will run both diesel and wvo trough a course pre-filter, trough an acdelco ep1000 lift pump and then a heater filter housing from plant-drive.com. We ended up making the bracket two times before we were happy, but the final version fits snugly over the wire for the parking break on the outside of the frame on the drivers side! Perfect!

The final Bracket tested on the Frame:

My college also helped me with another smaller brackets, before he went all over the new fuel tank and welded it together. Now I only need to have enough time in the shop with him to attach the tank to the car, and I can finish the conversion! Its exciting times! :)

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I´ve been doing a lot of progress on the sub lately! It looks like I will manage to get many of the projects done before going on Christmas holidays!

I run a new cable from the front of the truck to the rear end with several control signals for my system. A 7x1,5 in a plastic pipe to the rear lights suddenly gave me a lot of options, and I were able to collect the Reverse signal, and add extra backup lights and some work lights to the side of the truck.

The bonus to this new cable is that I now got reverse signal connected in the drivers dashboard relay centre, so finally my backup camera turns on when I am putting the truck in reverse! :D

The Side work lights were actually sae/dot approved "backup lights" with two levels of white light directly from china. I cut of the top and the bottom of the plastic around the lights so they fit in height with the roof bars.

I also added extra backup lights to the truck on the roof. They give a bit of shadow on the camera, but they really light the surroundings of the truck so it´s a breeze to watch both in the mirrors and on the camera!

I DO wonder what this resistor is doing! When the car was rebuilt according to Norwegian laws (orange turn signals and for gods sake no red side marker light), they have added this. I am of course planning on reversing this to original, so I´m debating wether to keep the resistor or not?

Last edited:

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last projects I really wanted to finish before xmas was adding towing mirrors and glow plug manual override - with new duratherm glow plugs. The mirror swap was quite easy, although I´m not sure I´m happy with the viewing angles the towing mirrors are giving me. I guess I have to give them some time to get used to them!

I used the original glow relay that I´ve refurbished and put it in parallel with the stock relay. Yellow and Red wire together on a 12v momentary switch, and voila, manual override!

I do have to say I was not very impressed by the bosch duratherm glow plugs - three of the flat pins snapped off basically just because I looked at them! Luckily, the local dealer had some acdelco 60g copy plugs for sale, so I got trough all 8 of them.

Starting the truck with 8 new plugs and manual glow override is a breeze! I am however debating with myself wether upgrading the main feed to the glow plugs would be beneficial, as the original wires are THIN for such a load! I am however a bit worried that giving the glows a proper feed would give them to high voltage all over - any opinions?

At last, a picture of the car ready for the long xmas travel:

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It´s been a long time since the last update - but it has happened a lot! I´ve had good and bad progression on the main project with the car: the WVO system. I will describe the install in the following posts.

Yesterday evening I had to take the suburban in and to a full cleaning of the fuel hoses and change main fuel filter due to rust in the hoses. That damn "new" fuel tank I bought..

At least I treated myself with mounting new fog lights on the car. The pre-wiring was all done, so it was a quick and easy install:

Spot one mistake:

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, it´s been a while since I did the actual conversion work on the car. I rebuilt the diesel system and added a wvo system with a separate tank. I now have pre filters, lift pumps, and coolant heated filter on both fuel lines, before the original filter.

It took me a long weekend to get the system up and running - and the wvo side is not functioning properly yet, so I´m still working on solutions!

This is from the Friday, where I mounted the pre made filter bay, pulled the hoses and mounted the tank on the car:

This is the filter bank on the side of my truck.

Mounted and covered with rubber mats and isolation You can also see the electrical wires for my gauges, I have pressure and temperature sensors on both lines:

The custom wvo tank in place under the car:

The filter bank nicely wrapped up. I´m gonna need some running boards to cover this up! ;) Luckily, I have a couple in my garage! ;)

Hoses and electrical pipes in the engine compartment:

Svein

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Day two was the longestt day. I spent a good 20 hours on the car:
-changing fuel tanks
-running new fuel lines to the original fuel tank
-connecting the wvo vents in the engine compartment hooking up the diesel lines and connecting it to the engine
-Cutting into the coolant lines for the wvo heating

The old leaky tank came down easy thanks to a great guy who let me lend his garage AND forklift to let it down with! :D

The new tank ready to go up: I cleaned it out, removed the tank sock and sealed the tank armature. I also added a bit of paint where I saw that it had had some strain on the previous truck it was on.

All lines routed and ready to test-drive on wvo. It didn't work, the truck died several times..

Temperature and pressure measurement T-ed in after the electrical heater just before the original fuel filter. The Temperature probe in the T didn't´t read anything, so I´ve fabricated a new fitting for it that I will try. I am planning on doing the FTB mod, so I can add measurements between the filter housing and the IP.

Test driving on WVO. It´s a nice little gauges display I´ve found from reveltronics. I really like it!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
It´s been a long time since the last update - but it has happened a lot! I´ve had good and bad progression on the main project with the car: the WVO system. I will describe the install in the following posts.

Yesterday evening I had to take the suburban in and to a full cleaning of the fuel hoses and change main fuel filter due to rust in the hoses. That damn "new" fuel tank I bought..

At least I treated myself with mounting new fog lights on the car. The pre-wiring was all done, so it was a quick and easy install:

Spot one mistake:
I can't find the mistake! lol