Hydroboost Sensor and Hydro assist question with Pic. WTF is this thing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled my Power Steering pump off to replace it with a new PSC unit. I noticed I had a Sensor on the back of the unit before I pulled it off. Pulled it off and snapped a pic

You must be registered for see images attach

Anybody tell me what its for and what it does? Actually did have it pulled out of the back of the pump itself and figured it could just be swapped over to the new pump. THing is the ports on the sesor and its housing as it goes into the pump is awfully small and looks pretty restrictive as well. Do i need this sensor? Is there a way to fake it out? Truck is a 97 k2500 with a 454 and as stated a Hydroboost setup

Thanks

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the valve for the speed sensitive steering. Gives more pressure at low speeds and less at high speeds.

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its the valve for the speed sensitive steering. Gives more pressure at low speeds and less at high speeds.

So do i need the thing with the new Higher Pressure PSC unit and the Hydro Assist ram? I would think it would be too restrictive for the larger cooler, extra lines etc

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's the EVO steering speed sensor, like Bluex said. They boost the pressure at low speeds for the soccer moms.
They can cause probs when they die. And they do!
You'll be able to tell when they're dead. In a corner, you'll get a sudden weirdness in the steering, almost like momentarily hitting a patch of ice when on dry roads! You can unplug it or eliminate it.
But...if you just unplug it, it'll stay in constant boost mode & it'll eventually start puking the fluid. As fast as you can pour new fluid in!
To eliminate it, remove that part from the pump & the line to the steering box.
You'll need 2 parts to replace those.
1. A new line from the box to the pump for a pre-EVO system. It has another 180* bend on the pump side in order to install directly into where that EVO POS was.
2. A small brass adapter that reduces the size of the threads where the EVO was attached to the pump, down to the size of the pre-EVO line.

That little puck will fall out. So take it out before it does, & make note of which way it faces.

This why you need the adapter. This also shows the pre-EVO line with that extra bend to get back to the pump.

Adapter/valve. I did this with wrecker parts, & I didn't get this. Didn't know. Just didn't look close enough! Doh!
Local steering box rebuilder gave me this one. Free!

Yea, I cleaned those threads out before the final assembly! Wiped everything down & blew all the crud out. This was just the test-fit run-through before the install.

I've had this done for a while on my '97. So much better! IIRC, the cost of the line from the wrecker was under $10.00.
Ditching the EVO was too easy! Doin' the re-n-re on the pump was a F'n PITA!!! Had to run out during the teardown & buy that special puller for the pump pulley!
In some ways, I miss the old V-belt system. This job was one of them. Used to be a Bucket, couple of 9/16" bolts. a 1/2" one, a cracked-end box wrench, a long screwdriver & boom, the pump was off! 10, maybe 15 minutes!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do i need the thing with the new Higher Pressure PSC unit and the Hydro Assist ram? I would think it would be too restrictive for the larger cooler, extra lines etc
No ditch it an get the fitting from a pump without it like Al said...

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the EVO steering speed sensor, like Bluex said. They boost the pressure at low speeds for the soccer moms.
They can cause probs when they die. And they do!
You'll be able to tell when they're dead. In a corner, you'll get a sudden weirdness in the steering, almost like momentarily hitting a patch of ice when on dry roads! You can unplug it or eliminate it.
But...if you just unplug it, it'll stay in constant boost mode & it'll eventually start puking the fluid. As fast as you can pour new fluid in!
To eliminate it, remove that part from the pump & the line to the steering box.
You'll need 2 parts to replace those.
1. A new line from the box to the pump for a pre-EVO system. It has another 180* bend on the pump side in order to install directly into where that EVO POS was.
2. A small brass adapter that reduces the size of the threads where the EVO was attached to the pump, down to the size of the pre-EVO line.

That little puck will fall out. So take it out before it does, & make note of which way it faces.

This why you need the adapter. This also shows the pre-EVO line with that extra bend to get back to the pump.

Adapter/valve. I did this with wrecker parts, & I didn't get this. Didn't know. Just didn't look close enough! Doh!
Local steering box rebuilder gave me this one. Free!

Yea, I cleaned those threads out before the final assembly! Wiped everything down & blew all the crud out. This was just the test-fit run-through before the install.

I've had this done for a while on my '97. So much better! IIRC, the cost of the line from the wrecker was under $10.00.
Ditching the EVO was too easy! Doin' the re-n-re on the pump was a F'n PITA!!! Had to run out during the teardown & buy that special puller for the pump pulley!
In some ways, I miss the old V-belt system. This job was one of them. Used to be a Bucket, couple of 9/16" bolts. a 1/2" one, a cracked-end box wrench, a long screwdriver & boom, the pump was off! 10, maybe 15 minutes!

Wow thanks for all the great Info. I have a new PSC pump for the hydro assist and the plan was to just get a fitting and run the lines which looks like what I can do with the PSC pump.

No ditch it an get the fitting from a pump without it like Al said...

I think that will end up being what I do. Thanks guys