Hydro Boost Swap on K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brakes on my '99 Suburban (JB6 RPO code) are all brand new plus I had braided lines installed. I an still not happy with the feel or stopping distance. Basically they just don't seem to be working very good. Now, this is a "new to me" vehicle so maybe they are working as designed but it just doesn't seem adequate. I have spent hours searching and reading about brake upgrades and there is sooooo much conflicting info out there. So here's what I think I have settled on and you guys tell me if I'm on the right track.

Hydroboost pump, master cylinder, lines and brake pedal (1996 up), steering pump OR Tee for return line and also a fluid cooler. Then after all that maybe go to 2500 calipers with 1500 pads for the front and leave the back stock.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Am I missing anything?

Brad

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before you dump any more money into it, have you had the brakes bled with a GM Tech-2 or comparable scan tool that can command the ABS module to stay open during the bleeding process? Air trapped in the ABS module is a really common problem in these trucks.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ABS bleed info. I had Les Schwab do the rear brakes and while they had it I asked them to install the braided lines I had already purchased. So, they would have had to bleed all the way around after that but I have no idea if they did it as you describe. I guess I could call and ask them to describe their process.

As far as the hydroboost swap, do I have the correct plan? Anything else I need to know?