HVAC controls toast only blows cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolman1987us

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Yesterday i was stuffing the wires for my radio down behind the HVAC controls and i saw some magic white smoke come out from the controls and now i cant make the heater blow hot air only cold. The blower still works but the temp and selector for defrost and floor doesn't work. Its always blowing cold air and is stuck on defrost. I dont have 300 bucks to get one from my local NAPA, but i am going to make a trip to the junkyard soon. What i was wondering is if someone knew how jerry rig a switch or something so i can have hot air. This is just untill i have time to get to the junkyard. All i need to know is if there is a way to jump the flapper that mixes hot and cold in the heater unit so instead of always cold its always hot. Thanks

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what year/model you have (for future reference please state) but I did some research for ya.

My '97 (for instance) has 3 different blend doors.
1 near the throttle (selects vents)
1 on the heater box (speed)
1 behind the ash-tray

The last one is the one you're looking for, it regulates heat transfer into the cab.

I uploaded 2 pictures, if they help-- give some Rep :D

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

-Truckin-

coolman1987us

Reaction score
My bad i thought i set up my quote with my truck specs i guess it didnt take. Its a 98 chevy k1500 cheyenne, 305 vortec (700r4 or 4L60 not sure (PRND321) not electronic OD) regular cab 8ft bed stock IFS. the heater control is 3 rotary knobs with a button for recirc and a button for a/c. thanks.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My bad i thought i set up my quote with my truck specs i guess it didnt take. Its a 98 chevy k1500 cheyenne, 305 vortec (700r4 or 4L60 not sure (PRND321) not electronic OD) regular cab 8ft bed stock IFS. the heater control is 3 rotary knobs with a button for recirc and a button for a/c. thanks.

What I have will work for you.. let me know if you want it.