HVAC box removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the actuator by the gas pedal, right? Check that the linkages and springs are all there.

There’s a notched dial on the actuator that will rotate as the position is changed. If it doesn’t turn at all or is twitchy, pull the connector and there should be three wires going to it. Brown is battery, black for ground and the third is the signal from the control panel.

Use a meter to check for voltage at the signal wire while turning the control panel dial to verify that the panel is doing its job. Voltage should change smoothly, not jumping around. If it’s smooth, confirm that you get voltage on the brown battery wire and that the ground is good. If that checks out and the actuator isn’t turning, I’d swap the actuator.

Temperature actuator functions the same way.
Yes it is the one by the pedal. They are all there. I can pull the actuator and change where the air goes i don't have much out of the defrost but I dont know if its just because i can't turn it and feel at the same time to get it in the right place. I have power and ground there. What voltage should be on the white wire. I get between 5.8 and 6.10 when i change the settings so I sure that the panel is ok. I hope so since mines a ******* year and cannot buy a new one and cannot remember where I seen the write up on wiring in a 96+ panel.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wouldn’t be a constant voltage. I don’t remember which way it goes, but it goes from low (around 1V up to 12V or so) between full panel and full defrost settings.

Well, that’s how my 98 works, at least. This is a 95? Sounds like an issue at the panel. You’re sure you have the connectors on good?

The dial (knob) on the control panel isn’t stripped or slipping on the shaft? Maybe pull the knob off and turn the shaft manually. Worth a shot, lol.

95 wiring diagram...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wouldn’t be a constant voltage. I don’t remember which way it goes, but it goes from low (around 1V up to 12V or so) between full panel and full defrost settings.

Well, that’s how my 98 works, at least. This is a 95? Sounds like an issue at the panel. You’re sure you have the connectors on good?

The dial (knob) on the control panel isn’t stripped or slipping on the shaft? Maybe pull the knob off and turn the shaft manually. Worth a shot, lol.

95 wiring diagram...
Sorry for the late reply I didn't see your reponse. I figured it out. Tried another actuator out of my other 95 and it worked once. I found that I had installed one of the doors wrong and it was not moving right. So I figured it burned it up. I found a dash so when I had it out again I fixed the door. I ordered a new actuator and plugged it and it didn't work. I grabbed the panel out of the other truck and it works properly. Now I have to find a replacement for my other truck or figure out the wiring so I can make a adaptor harness so I can run a 96+ panel. You don't by chance have the diagram for a 96 handy do you?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not for a 96, but here’s a 98. Probably the same or pretty close to a 96. I’m not sure what’s different on a 95, but maybe someone can chime in on what to switch over.

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Another thread that brings a smile to my face and makes me proud to be a member of!
3 different Mustang forums, a BMW, one, 2 different Crown Vic ones, -all have great info and some really good people, but THIS forum and its members would make you want to go out and buy a 400 if you didn't have one, lol!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not for a 96, but here’s a 98. Probably the same or pretty close to a 96. I’m not sure what’s different on a 95, but maybe someone can chime in on what to switch over.
From what Ive seen looking last night the plugs are different and they have a board on the 95's and it looks like on the 96+ they did away with the board to something that looks like what the interment panel has for its circuity. Thank you for the diagarams now I just have to get to a pick and pull so I can get some plugs.