How to wire power seats like stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a 94 Sierra SLE, it had the buckets, but they weren't powered, I found a power seat on Facebook marketplace and it fit right in, but since my truck isn't wired for the power seat, what is the best way to go about this? I checked under the carpet and there isn't a connector either.

I'm definitely a beginner at electronics and wiring so I'm probably gonna have a lot of questions.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
How many wires are running to the seat? I believe on older models, most time its just a power and a ground. If that's the case, you should be able to test out the seats before install to ensure they work and then just run a fused power to the seat and ground out the other on the seat frame

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many wires are running to the seat? I believe on older models, most time its just a power and a ground. If that's the case, you should be able to test out the seats before install to ensure they work and then just run a fused power to the seat and ground out the other on the seat frame
Yeah they work, it’s just two wires and I’ve tested them already, but I didn’t know what amperage fuse to use or if there’s a specific way to connect them.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing is that the motor was very slow when I gave it 12v and 6a, I don't know if a higher amperage would make it go quicker, but it wouldn't even move forward or backward if someone was sitting on it, you had to sort of help it along, which isn't ideal.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You might want to take it apart and lube the gears before you install it, depending on just how slow it is.

Factory, they're powered off the same circuit breaker as the power locks, and the harness that goes to the floor actually plugs into the convenience center - so there's a chance you could go get the harness from a 92-94 truck with the power seats and not have to really custom wire anything, because the convenience center is already set up for extra stuff.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might want to take it apart and lube the gears before you install it, depending on just how slow it is.

Factory, they're powered off the same circuit breaker as the power locks, and the harness that goes to the floor actually plugs into the convenience center - so there's a chance you could go get the harness from a 92-94 truck with the power seats and not have to really custom wire anything, because the convenience center is already set up for extra stuff.
Any idea where the circuit for the power locks is? I couldn’t find anything in the fuse box and nothing under the dash either that I could tell. Also what is a convince center? I’ve heard some people call the overhead console that, but mine doesn’t have the overhead console.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Convenience Center is the block on the firewall behind the parking brake ratcheting assembly. There are several connectors plugged into it, and that's also where you'll find your turn signal flasher unit. The battery feed for the power locks and windows are actually plugged into this block as well. In the fuse block, the accessory breaker is silver, 30a, and the text is probably ACC/BATT or something to that effect. This breaker is used for an entire connector row of the convenience center.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Convenience Center is the block on the firewall behind the parking brake ratcheting assembly. There are several connectors plugged into it, and that's also where you'll find your turn signal flasher unit. The battery feed for the power locks and windows are actually plugged into this block as well. In the fuse block, the accessory breaker is silver, 30a, and the text is probably ACC/BATT or something to that effect. This breaker is used for an entire connector row of the convenience center.
Ah I see, I saw that piece but didn’t know what it was called. Thanks.

So the seat motor is made to run with 12v and 30a? Would that maybe help fix my slow motor problem? I’ve only ever tried the seat motor on 12v 6a.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well, that's just what the max power of the circuit should be... The seat motors in my Blazer only take some 4-6 amps to run, imo it really shouldn't take more than that. Heck the power windows have similar motors and they only use about 7a outside of locking conditions, 11-15 if you hold them at max travel (I do not recommend haha).

Depending on your power supply you're using, you might be dropping voltage. Want it to go faster, you need more voltage, not amperage. Amperage will just burn them out faster.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, that's just what the max power of the circuit should be... The seat motors in my Blazer only take some 4-6 amps to run, imo it really shouldn't take more than that. Heck the power windows have similar motors and they only use about 7a outside of locking conditions, 11-15 if you hold them at max travel (I do not recommend haha).

Depending on your power supply you're using, you might be dropping voltage. Want it to go faster, you need more voltage, not amperage. Amperage will just burn them out faster.
I just used a car battery charger, probably not the best option, but I was able to figure out if the seat worked or not. Anyways, thanks for the help, I’ll try to take the motor apart later this weekend and see if I can get it to work at least a little bit better.