how to upgrade to corvette calipers on a 99 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, bigger wheels equal more weight farther out from the hub. And that does impact stopping ability.

EDIT. And actually, bigger brakes take less foot pressure (all else being equal) to obtain the same force on the wheel, which allows you to modulate more finely and have a better feel-which would allow you to shorten your stopping distance. Also, a lower profile tire doesnt squirm as much which gives you better traction and feel-which will also contribute to shorter stopping distances.

Other wise, race cars would just run little go-cart tires and not worry about it. They actually run larger wheels so that larger brakes can be used-because they stop better.

Last edited:

2smokey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exactly.if he cant notice the difference with stopping on big wheels compared to smaller wheels then i dont know what to say.right off the top i could tell the difference in the weight of the wheels and when braking.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on the offset of the wheel as to where the extra weight is. And the low pros do assist in cornering by reducing tire roll but don't assist in braking. The contact patch determines the traction available and not the tire profile. Again, bigger brakes do not directly lower the stopping distance. They have the ability to stop heavier loads without as much heat build up but an unloaded truck won't stop faster with bigger brakes. And yes, they will reduce the driver's input effort but the force applied to the rotor is the same. Firmer brake feel is mostly achieved in the brake lines themselves. Rubber lines stretch, braided reinforced don't. Most race cars do indeed run fairly small wheels and thick tires. I absolutely recommend upgrading your brakes. Most important system on the car. But adding larger WHEELS doesn't matter as much as the offset of the wheels and height of the tires. If the wheel tucks then chances are there isn't much, if any at all, additional outboard weight. A 20x8.5 Godspeed Omega wheel and 255/35 tire weighs less than a 17" stock Mustang wheel with a 255/40 tire. Anyway, enough with jabber.

OP you should probably invest in an aftermarket application specific system. Bolt and go, no need for trial and (possibly deadly) error.

2smokey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright well this post isant going anywhere in the direction towards helping me with finding out how to make them work so thanks anyways.apparently tempted went to collage for brakes

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Actually for all automotive aspects ;) Attended a 2 year auto tech school, auto/diesel industrial, a few manufacturer specific training courses and more course updates that I can remember. Only thing I can't do is body work, don't have the hands for.