How to reset primary odometer to 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah just swap out the odometer, it's real easy. That's what I did on my 97 Sierra when I dropped in a 2000 Escalade cluster.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took a drill and spun the Denali cluster to match my OE cluster..

First thing I thought of was that Kurt Russell movie from back in the day. Going to have to go find that and watch it now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I put a Denali cluster in my 97. The Denali cluster had less miles than my OE cluster. I took a drill and spun the Denali cluster to match my OE cluster. It worked good, but you have to watch that you dint go to fast as this can melt the plasric gears. I hooked the drill on the stem sticking out in the trip OD side. I did have to put the drill in reverse to spinn the miles forward. If I could have put the drill on the other side, then I would have been able to put the drill in forward, but because I had to turn the drill around, I had to put it in reverse. The only issue I have is that the trip OD sometimes hangs up at 99.9 miles. The regular OD is fine. IDK if the Denali cluster did that before I got it or not. It was in kind of ruff shape. I did have to swap out all of the steeper motors for the gauges, not speed o or tach with my OE ones. I also did have to reset the speed o to make it read rite. I think I changed tire size. It wasnt off a lot.

How did you reset the speedometer to make it read right?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Jet programmer for my truck. I bought it from Summit racing, some years ago. I can set my truck to 3 different performance modes. I have it on max. Have to run premium fuel. I can set the trans shift points, top speed limiter, tier size for the speed o, rear end gear ratios, ect. I have the speed limiter set to max, 228 MPH. I done think my truck will ever go that fast, unless I get towed by a jet plane or something, lol. I can also set the RPM limiter. The biggest improvement in performance, is the way the trans shifts. The shifts are quick. No more long slow shifts. The second pic is what I should have bought. You can do a lot more with the CD and a lap top, but the flash tuner is nice to have. I can do live data code reads, clear codes, ect. The CD is $399.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First thing I thought of was that Kurt Russell movie from back in the day. Going to have to go find that and watch it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can only go forward, not back words. I tried just to see if I could.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Alternatively to what Kenny mentioned, anyone who offers mail order tunes for the '96+ trucks can do this. If it's a '98+ anyone with HPTuners or EFILive can do it.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also a transmission shop, should be able to set the speed o to read correct. As mentioned above, a custom tune, be it mail in, or a live tune, can set many things, and is more effective than a flash tuner. The plus to having a hand held tuner, is than I can change any setting that I want, at any time, but I am limited to what programs that are preloaded on the hand held programmer. Also like I said before, my programmer also has diagnostic functions. Black Bare performance does do a mail in tune, and some live tunes in different locations. None of these are ever anywhere close to me though. Untill the time comes that I rebuild my engine, and change the pistons, cam, and heads to performance parts, where I need a live tune, I am good with my flash tuner.

Last edited:

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alternatively to what Kenny mentioned, anyone who offers mail order tunes for the '96+ trucks can do this. If it's a '98+ anyone with HPTuners or EFILive can do it.
I'm confused by this. Why the need to do this? I assume that if you change the tire size you need to set it in the computer which then runs the odometer and speedometer. Why would changing the cluster result in the speedo being off?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because there are stepper motors that drive all of the instraments in the cluster including the speed o and tech. These are controlled by the computer. That needs to be calarbrated to read correctly. Chances are, the one you swap, will not have the same setting as the one you pull out, but you may get lucky.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because there are stepper motors that drive all of the instraments in the cluster including the speed o and tech. These are controlled by the computer. That needs to be calarbrated to read correctly. Chances are, the one you swap, will not have the same setting as the one you pull out, but you may get lucky.
Hm , TIL. So to resolve this I either need my own programmer or I need to get a remote tuner job and specify how far off I am on the odo/speedo so they can compensate?