How to reset primary odometer to 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hm , TIL. So to resolve this I either need my own programmer or I need to get a remote tuner job and specify how far off I am on the odo/speedo so they can compensate?
You will need to wait until you do the swap to see if or how far off the speed o is. Like I said, you may get lucky and it wont be off at all. Worse case, call a local trans shop, or even your local GM dealer. They can reset the speed o for you.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For some reason, IDK Y my OE speed o started reading the incorrect speed. Tires were OE at the time. After I got my flash tuner, I set the speed o to the correct MPH with my phone and GPS. When I did the Denali cluster swap, ( Denali have a 120 MPH speed o) again the speed o was off, so I again had to reset the speed o with my tuner. Thing is, I have been having my truck for 18 years. I know that when I bought the truck when it was 5 years old, in 2002, the speed o was correct. Still have the same rear end with the same gears.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
They are not stepper motors... Those weren't put in clusters until 2003 GMT800s... Ours use electromagnets. They wear out over time and so many warm up cycles. My Escalade cluster's speedo is off 3mph across the board, all I'm gonna do with it is pop the needle off and place it back where it should be. The tach is also off by about 150rpm. Same thing... But my odometer is dead on accurate using the 97 cluster's odometer, so I know I don't need to adjust the tune.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re still within spec, technically. Mine’s around 5-mph the faster I go.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are not stepper motors... Those weren't put in clusters until 2003 GMT800s... Ours use electromagnets. They wear out over time and so many warm up cycles. My Escalade cluster's speedo is off 3mph across the board, all I'm gonna do with it is pop the needle off and place it back where it should be. The tach is also off by about 150rpm. Same thing... But my odometer is dead on accurate using the 97 cluster's odometer, so I know I don't need to adjust the tune.
Call them what ever you want to, but here are pics of the stepper motors that are in our trucks. Each one is a little different from the other, so if you fuel gauge is bouncing all over the place, and you want to stop that, short of taking the motor apart and refilling it with silicone oil, then you need to replace the stepper motor with one that is for the fuel gauge. I know that this is what is in the cluster in my 97 silverado. I know this because I had to swap all of mine when I installed the Denali cluster I installed except for the speed o and tach, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And here is a video on adding oil to you gas gauge stepper motor to stop a bouncing needle. This video shows the disasembly of the cluster, and the fuel gauge stepper motor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re still within spec, technically. Mine’s around 5-mph the faster I go.

Mm actually those images do remind me of something: My PCM and my GPS both report the same speed all the way from 0-90, another way I know my tune config is good lol

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Just wanted to update and share what I did for my milage.

I hooked up a drill and ran it at low speed. Ziptied the trigger so it would stay consistent. After so many battery changes and letting the drill cool off, you will eventually hit your milage. In my case it took forever from 210 to 495k. I agree with the others but as long and your watching the drill and not flying til the plastic melts. It's very doable and faster imo. DO NOT RUN IT ON HIGH GEAR UNLESS THE SETTING IS SUPER LOW.

Attachments

• 20221111_173205.jpg
    20221111_173205.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221111_173150.jpg
    20221111_173150.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 16682710599607333377075888926101.jpg
    16682710599607333377075888926101.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 9

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt the gauge cluster for Roscoe the other day. I need to shoot a video on how to turn the numbers because you can do it without a drill pretty quickly if you know the trick. It took me a few minutes to figure it out.