How to reset primary odometer to 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m the middle of an extensive restoration and Cummins swap and I want to reset it back at zero to more easily track future mileage and engine break-in and whatnot. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to do this properly?

Before anyone rides in on their high horse of justice to remind me how it’s illegal to tamper with an odometer just keep it to yourself... We’re all aware. The current cluster was replaced with another used one by the previous owner and has completely wrong mileage already. Plus, the speedo and odometer were not operational for about 15k miles.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few things come to mind.

1- find a way to get your hands on a factory new odometer.
2-find where the odometer gets it's input, and basically turn it forward (can't go backwards) till it turns back over to 0.

I'm sure there's some paper trail one could go down to legally allow the odometer reset to 0. You do you, just suggesting that there might be a legal way to do it. Might be worth the effort [emoji2371]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully understand why advertising and then selling a vehicle with the wrong mileage is illegal and wrong. But the title to the truck had “mileage not accurate” clearly input by the tax office when I transferred the title to my name. I literally cannot sell it in the future with “accurate” mileage. Why would it matter at this point?

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or just get a nice, aftermarket set of gauges and throw it in to replace your old, original gauges.

I personally don’t like the look of aftermarket gauges. Or steering wheels and stereo head units for that matter too. They always just look tacky and “off brand” with the rest of the interior.

My gauge pod has auto meter factory match pyro and boost gauges to keep things looking legit. I guess I’m weird like that.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can not go back words with the OD, only farward. So if you just want to track future millage, you could go up to the next millage, like from 127,000 to 130,000 or something like that. I swapped my cluster for one out of a Denali. It had lower miles than mine, so I just spun it foword to match the one I removed. I did this with a drill.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I 'think' you can take the drum out and ratchet each roll up to 0 with your fingers... but thats just a random uneducated guess :deal:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can send a cluster in and have it rebuilt, these guys can adjust mileage too. I've got a 110 Speedo I'm going to send it to have it rebuilt and mileage adjusted. Pretty reasonable pricing I think, all new stepper motors, odometer fix, cleaned and whatnot for like $200 I think is what I was quoted.
https://www.instrumentclusters.com/

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I successfully turned one back to zero pretty quick by taking it completely apart and manipulating the numbers from left to right by hand. But that method is kind of tedious, and if you break the little flimsy plastic retainer that keeps the numbers in line while you're removing or replacing it, you're screwed lol.

I did it to a 93 cluster that the trip odometer wasn't working in because the plastic joint between the two was shattered. Discovered something else that might be of marginal interest... It's possible to use a 92-94 odometer body in a 95+ cluster, and vice versa because they're identical, except for one thing: the trip is on opposite sides and the rod is not movable.

You must be registered for see images attach

I also will NOT recommend using a drill to "spin it up" - I started with that, and it started getting hot and melting the gears.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
You can send a cluster in and have it rebuilt, these guys can adjust mileage too. I've got a 110 Speedo I'm going to send it to have it rebuilt and mileage adjusted. Pretty reasonable pricing I think, all new stepper motors, odometer fix, cleaned and whatnot for like $200 I think is what I was quoted.
https://www.instrumentclusters.com/

That’s a good price IMO