How to remove the throttle shaft from a TBI unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon92

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently made a wrong turn breaking down my truck's TBI unit. I wanted to completely take everything apart and de-grease it but didn't realize the small screws connecting the butterfly valves to the throttle shaft were blunted to the back of said shaft. I've broken all of them off and was wondering if it's possible to remove the throttle shaft and install a new bushing (and new throttle shaft lol).

Thanks,

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't done one myself as when needed I always had access (at the time) to lower-mileage units to swap on. There are bushing kits out there but they're a bit pricey as is the reamer tool. TONS of info if you search around the net, including on many truck-related forums, and as mentioned RV Morse is a known name in the biz for TBI bore-out jobs, they probably do the bushing job as well.

Just don't click on any old links for tbiparts dot com, it's no longer there and looks like some malware scam site or just a foreign-language place holder now. :/

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't realize the small screws connecting the butterfly valves to the throttle shaft were blunted to the back of said shaft. I've broken all of them off
Grab the staked end of the screws with a small vice-grip, turn the broken screws out. Get new screws at a well-stocked hardware store. Take care aligning the throttle plates with the throttle bore, and use thread locker on the new screws.

Yukon92

Reaction score
Grab the staked end of the screws with a small vice-grip, turn the broken screws out. Get new screws at a well-stocked hardware store. Take care aligning the throttle plates with the throttle bore, and use thread locker on the new screws.
Wow, that actually seems pretty reasonable and lots cheaper than buying a new throttle body. I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. Thanks to all previous responses. Everyone has come at this with a different approach