how to remove oil filter holder? anyone know how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're talking about the aluminum adapter, are there lines that go to an oil cooler?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Then unscrew the lines and unscrew the adapter. Simple as that. If you don't want to keep the oil cooler then just unbolt it and remove it.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then unscrew the lines and unscrew the adapter. Simple as that. If you don't want to keep the oil cooler then just unbolt it and remove it.

i'm removing the oilpan and the adapter is in the way. where do you unscrew the adapter? or do you mean unscrew like the oil filter unscrews?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes, the adapter screws in exactly like the filter does. If you didn't have an oil cooler the adapter wouldn't even be there.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after you take the oil filter off, there are 2 allen head bolts that go through the adapter and hold the adapter to the block, they'll likely be covered in oil, have a rag handy...if you're just wanting to get the pan off, you shouldn't need to remove the lines if you don't want to, just unbolt the adapter from the block and you should be able to move it out of the way. though its been a while since I had the stock adapter on there, if the lines aren't flexable enough to pull the adapter down and off, you may need to remove them.

there is also a large O ring seal and a fiber gasket between the adapter and the block, they go bad over time and will leak, if you're pulling the adapter off anyways, I'd recommend replacing the seals before you re-attach it.