How to identify rear differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Landyacht

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, actually I'm wanting to get all the parts needed for a complete rear brake rebuild (Rotors, Calipers, Pads, Inner seals) on my 1992 P30/32 based motorhome before I begin to tear into it. How do I identify what differential I have? I'm fairly sure it's a Dana but still need a way to confirm it is and which Dana I have. The hubs are 10 bolt hubs and it's a 18000 GVW motorhome with 4 wheel disc brakes and dually rear wheels with TAG axle. There may have been a metal tag on one of the cover bolts but that was removed by a shop that the previous owner used to verify what the gear ratio was inside.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your tag if missing, you are going to go by visual observations:

Have you checked on the RV forums, they most likely just used only a few axle types on that frame in those years, so it should not be that difficult to figure it out.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There will be ID numbers stamped into it, likely into one of the axle tubes. Dana had a pretty good online PDF for identifying their axles, showing location of ID numbers / BOM (bill of materials), applications, etc.

99% sure what you have is a Dana 80, though.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the VIN and the manufacturer builder data tags in the door entry or underhood. When i worked at ( shivering) Ford truck dealer that was how i indentify what chassis series they used. Just a bad memory. Good luck.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 1988-1998 C/K models (Chevy Trucks) is there a stamp on those axles to help identify gear ratio. Other than counting number of bolts [14 bolt pattern]

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RPO listing in the glove box.
The axle is out of the truck and the body has been destroyed. Just wondering if there are any identifying marks or numbers on the axle itself that will help me confirm what the seller is telling me it is? It is a 14 bolt, 6 lug axle with 3.42 ratio. Just want to make sure it fits under 1996 Chevy C1500....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ahh.
If it's an unknown donor...
You'll need to now the distance of the wheel mount surface to WMS & the distance between the spring perch center pin holes.