How to: factory auxiliary trans cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to install the B&M cooler this weekend. Where the OP used an adapter pictured here, I'm thinking of using a brass tee and installing a temp sensor for a gauge in the cabin:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this a good place to do this? Which side of the cooler would be the inlet (fender side or center side) so I can read the pre-cooled temperature?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender side should be the inlet. That will be your temp after the radiator's cooler though. Ideally, you would want it as close to the trans as possible to get the most accurate temperature, preferably in the pan itself, but that wouldn't be a bad position. You may also have to bend the line to make it route properly.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't realize it went into the radiator first. I was hoping to avoid having to touch the tranny pan; maybe I can do something inline on the way to the radiator.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
you did alot better work then i did, i just secured it to the radiator, but i did notice about a 20* difference in temp, especially here in louisiana. the heat kills trannys

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
Good write up with pics OP! I am pulling my grill out to replace my headlights so I'm going to upgrade my tranny cooler while I've got everything apart! 1996 RCSS 5.7 (now with 6.3)with tow package!
Thanks OP!

Last edited:

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
its the cheapest insurance youll ever buy

Very true! Seems like a good cooler and VERY reasonably priced!
Don't do any towing with this truck( I have a Cummins for that) just want to try and save my tranny as best as I can! I'm still trying to find a finned deep trans pan that won't interfere with trans crossmember that will help on cooling a little also!

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Very true! Seems like a good cooler and VERY reasonably priced!
Don't do any towing with this truck( I have a Cummins for that) just want to try and save my tranny as best as I can! I'm still trying to find a finned deep trans pan that won't interfere with trans crossmember that will help on cooling a little also!

i think i paid $40 for mine and its its large, the size diagram on it says its sized for a RV but it works, i bought a deep pan from monstertransmission.com and i dont have any issues with the cross member but then again its a 4X4 and the crossmember is a few inches further back

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made this upgrade today, but it wasn't without drama. I mounted it the first time with it farther out from the radiator. I didn't realize the folly of my ways until I had run the truck for couple minutes to check for leaks and then tried to reassemble the grill. I had taken the lower trim piece out as well as the grill, and it just wouldn't go back. So I had to disassemble the cooler, let it drain, and then turn it around and re-install it.

Here's my dilemma - how much fluid to add back. I wasn't smart enough to measure what came out and I can't find anything on the B&M site about how much fluid it holds. I added a 1/2 quart; I'm sure at least that much came out. But I'm nervous to run the truck long enough to check the level properly, and I don't want to overfill it. Can I run it for 5-6 miles at low speed without any damage? Any other suggestions?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as fluid is on the dipstick there isn't any danger of damaging the trans. I would run it through the gears at idle ams recheck the level. As long as it is around the cold fill line, you're fine. Run it to temperature, then recheck. If it's in the proper range, leave it alone.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk