How to: factory auxiliary trans cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! It was very inspiring! Since I have the big block powered truck with the 4l80E I decided to step up to the larger B&M 70274. To get that monster to fit all I had to do was shift over one mounting hole and then drill a new hole for the bolt on the right. I drilled the hole just a tiny bit high to tilt the cooler out of the way of the center latch support. I haven't fabbed a top support yet, but once that is done I'll be able to go on a drive and see how my tranny temp is effected.

Side note: I did have to cut a small corner off the lower valence for driver side (right side of the picture) adapter to fit

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice install! That thing is a behemoth!

I have a 1990 and it did not come with a aux Trans cooler. I want to do this mod before the lift and tires. Anyone done this to a truck that didn't already have the aux cooler?

Also, is everyone adding this in addition to the radiator or bypassing the radiator?

It gets really hot here in the summers and I wouldn't mind getting a cooler big enough where I could bypass the radiator all together if possible so the truck would run cooler.

I'm about to swap to electric fans and ditch the clutch fan hopefully that'll cool better and free up some HP.

I would leave the cooler in the radiator plumbed in, as it not only cools the fluid but warms it in the winter so that you don't run into pressure issues with the fluid being too cold and thick. You won't have the mounting brackets already present on the truck, so you can install it wherever you would like, either with a custom fabbed bracket or with the ties included in an install kit. You will want to run the lines from the outlet side of the radiator trans cooler into the aux cooler, and then back to the trans. I recommend mocking up the install, measuring the length of lines you will need, and having a hydraulic shop make a set of lines with a steel braided line. Hydraulic line is far superior to the usual rubber hose you find in the install kits, and can take high temps, fuel, oil, and abrasion much better. Cheap insurance compared to blowing a line. Also makes for a much cleaner install.

As far as Efans go, they work, but there is a reason that the 3500 trucks still use a mechanical fan, and that is that most Efans will not keep up with the amount of of airflow needed for proper heat rejection under load. I recommend using a late model style 9 blade fan and a heavy duty clutch. Thermal clutches disconnect the fan at highway speeds, so you really aren't going to gain much fuel economy under lightly loaded cruising conditions, as the ram air effect provides most of the airflow. Lift and tires are going to hurt fuel economy far more than an Efan would ever help, and power gains would be insignificant, as the fan centrifugally disconnects at high RPMs where horsepower is made. I would, however, invest in a 454SS style radiator. That should give you all the capacity you need. I have one in my Suburban and have a very hard time getting the truck much over the thermostat's rated temp.

Doublestack00

Reaction score
That's some good info man. Part of the reason I wanted to go with twin electric fans is the truck seems to creep up in temp when sitting in traffic or still with that a/c on, I haven't let it get above 210 so I am not sure if it will but I do not want to test it.

What is your thoughts on this trans cooler? I was given this for free brand new in the box.

http://www.amazon.com/HAYDEN-TRANSAVER-TRANS-COOLER-OC-1405-EXTRA/dp/B009TACG54

If I add this cooler (or a different one) how do I go about connecting it in line with my radiator since my truck did not come with one from the factory.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should work just fine. Be sure to use some kind of wrap on the hose so it doesn't rub through. I would pull the upper radiator mount and shroud and blow the condenser and radiator out with compressed air. Lots of crap can accumulate in there and kill airflow. Your fan clutch may also be on its way out too. Given the age of the truck, it may be a good idea to get a new one just because.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHo has a trans temp gauges installed?? Where did you mount the sensor? Last time I did a trans temp install, I used the Auto Meter manifold block and just plumbed it inline at the tranny cooler. Not sure if Auto Meter still sells those aluminum manifolds though.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I add this cooler (or a different one) how do I go about connecting it in line with my radiator since my truck did not come with one from the factory.

I believe the top trans cooler is the return line. You'll want to go from that top port to your aux cooler, then from the aux cooler to the return line.

Doublestack00

Reaction score
I believe the top trans cooler is the return line. You'll want to go from that top port to your aux cooler, then from the aux cooler to the return line.

Is there and adapter I can buy so I do not have to cut my stock trans line?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could put barb type fittings on the line and radiator fitting, but it wouldn't look too pretty.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe swap lines from a truck that had the auxiliary cooler. Then just go grab the larger cooler.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I stuck a Imperial Auto Cool in my 91 K1500 - I bypassed the factory one, because I can't imagine it really does very much... This one is 10"x15.5" and has 1/2" internal tubes. I opted just to use the hardware it came with and attached it to my condensor for my AC.

this is the one I bought:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...hicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=241018&showTitle=

it is rated for 10,000 lb towing- took about 2 hours to install properly- I also replaced my hard steel lines, and made them run through the core support, then only have about 10" of hose total- I need to get install pics... It mounts in the same area as the OP posted