How Much Can YOU Haul IN 1/2 Ton???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a super light 800lb camper it should be bad at all. Even then, provided the tires can handle the weight of the camper you're hauling an overload leaf pack makes a huge difference in sway, SRW or DRW.

My buddy hauls a 9.5' S&S which is ~3klbs dry in SRW Dodge, but he's running 19.5 wheels and tires to handle the weight. He added some aftermarket overload packs and it handles just fine going down the road with his built K5 on a trailer tagging behind.

I guess most of the people Ive seen with campers had improper tires. Well, that and the fact they were hauling ancient campers from 20 years ago which Im sure weigh as much as a midsize Cadillac :D

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I guess most of the people Ive seen with campers had improper tires. Well, that and the fact they were hauling ancient campers from 20 years ago which Im sure weigh as much as a midsize Cadillac :D

Nah, try a 1959 Eldorado or Imperial.......the materials they used in some of the older campers was overkill, nowadays they make them so the entire camper disintegrates at around the same rate, lol.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
I've had 8 beer kegs in the back of my truck which i think was about 1100lbs :cheers: and a 16 foot toy haller with 4 dbikes and a utv. sagged quite a bit but AALs helped a bunch

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have air bags and it is the best upgrade for towing, Our 9000lb enclosed trailer sags our 1 ton fords pretty good, I can sit level with the air bags at 60 psi and tires at 80. She's kinda slow going though.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hauled plenty of loads of firewood, landscaping blocks, etc. No pictures of most.

Done lots of towing recently. Here was the 88 from my move. Bed was full with all my garage stuff (sat it down on the overloads alone) plus a 16' flat deck trailer with other crap on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Many, Many trips like this prior to buying the 99. The trailer loaded is around 5.5k with it's gear. The truck had a fullsize spare, toolbox filled to the brim, and the rest of the bed filled with firewood. That plus two people and my dog.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i have hauled many things with my trucks mostly other cars and such one i hauled 16 pounds of battries with my stepside i had a single clamp down overload on it no pics tho other then the one where you can see it squatted but here are some pic i took of other stuff i hauled i have more at home ill upload later

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Man, look at that frame flex! The 1/2ton frames are too flexible IMO, my 88 did the same thing with a load like that. That is why I picked up the 99 3/4ton.

i wish i had the money for a 3/4 ton but my 1/2 will have to work for now i mainly tow with the 94 but the tranny only has 1 and 3 and 3 is starting to slip so i used the 88

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I'd pull my 35' fifth wheel camper every weekend and it did fine with minimul squat..now i'ts mainly used to pull the derby cars around.