How does the behingd the seat jack cover mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the threaded rod on mine is threaded into a welded on nut that is part of the floor and sticks out under the cab exposed to the weather. I managed to get it out once without wrecking it but it took some doin. When my jack failed and I went looking for another one like mine with the planetary reduction on it I found one in a full size van. It had a vinyl sort of bag over it that I grabbed too. Cleans up the area kind of nicely

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I have a couple pics now. Gray plastic tool tray is underneath the red plastic brace. That brace has a hole for the threaded rod to slide up through. So, anyone know if the plastic tool tray goes under or over the brace? Is the tool tray different somehow when this plastic cover is in place?

You must be registered for see images attach

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately this one is blurry, so may need to re-take it tomorrow. But the tool tray seems to be glued or held down somehow. Can't really tell, but there is a sort of washer like thing on the threaded rod, on top of the tool tray. And it seems that washer is affixed (glued?) to the tool tray.

You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is not glued it is screwed.. the threaded rod extends past the "washer" and screws into a nut in the floor . I finally remembered that to get that tray out at the JYard I had to put vice grips on that rod and unscrew it . It is as Ixe4 above describes it. The passenger side nut is on all trucks but the one on driver side is either not present or not drilled on non Silverado trucks if I remember it right.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, I understand now, undo the threaded rod. I tried undoing the rod with vise grips, but the vise grips just spins around and off the threaded rod. Looks like I need to take off the bolt that is on the bottom or outside face of the floor pan, then the threaded rod will come out?

Does the jack cover/storage tray take a longer rod?

Anyone have a schematic of how all this stuff is supposed to go together? Or a pic, or can explain it for me? What piece goes in first, the tool tray or the jack cover?

Last edited:

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The passenger side nut is on all trucks but the one on driver side is either not present or not drilled on non Silverado trucks if I remember it right.
The driver's side is not drilled for a fastener on my truck. The floor mat does have about a 1.5" circular hole in it to allow for securing it. Need to get that piece or make my own.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.