How does one remove the electric AIR system in a 1998 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
This is going to be useful for not only me but for anyone who wants to replace the headers on their truck.

Let me clarify, this is not a belt-driven AIR pump. There are plenty of threads that explain the benefits and solutions. The air pump sits in a battery mount directly opposite the battery on the driver's side under the hood. It feeds into the stock exhaust manifolds, and if you want to replace your manifolds it better be OEM or good luck rerouting this AIR back into the exhaust. HOW? How in the world does someone get rid of this. A write-up would be mucho appreciated, if it requires a tune or PCM swap, so be it, but we want DIY custom exhausts and this is THE BIGGEST hurdle if your truck has this. Does anyone have ansers?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never done this, but I would think it should just be a matter of figuring out how to cap all the orifices and then getting the PCM tuned accordingly. You may have to purchase the appropriate tuning software and figure out how to do that yourself if you can't find a tuner who's willing to work with you. Tuning companies seem to be more reluctant to disable emissions devices with all the pressure from the EPA lately. IIRC another member here mentioned that Black Bear Performance will no longer disable EGR by customer request, so they probably won't want to mess with the AIR system either.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Electric? I didn't know GM did that on any GMT-400. My Saturn could have had that, but didn't.

I was thinking the same. Electric on my wifes Impala, electric on all the Trailblazers. But both those are mid or later 2000's. Cant recall any RWD vehicle having electric A.I.R. systems pre-1999.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that specific to California emission trucks?
I suppose that might be. C o m m i e-fornia does some screwy things to vehicles...

I just checked my Chilton's manual, granted it's an old copy that only goes to '97 ('cause I bought my first 400 in early '98). There's an electric fuel pump, and a washer fluid pump mentioned. The only thing electric about A.I.R. is the diverter valve.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it must be a CARB thing, my 98’s don’t have anything like that save the EGR fitting on the left exhaust manifold. No smog pump or anything like that.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I concede.
Rock Auto does indeed have electric A.I.R. pumps starting in the '98 model year.
Interesting, silly but interesting.