how do you remove door panels the right way??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
heyy guys is there a full write up on how to remove the interior door panels the right way without braeking tabs....i have a 2000 K3500 full power interior.

i have new speakers but i do not want to damage the panels when removing them....

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull up the window control module and disconnect the connectors and tweeter
theres two screws where your armrest part is, take those out
then you have to slide a flathead screwdriver or putty knife or door panel tool behind the outer trim around the door handle and carefully pry that out and off,
then i usually pop off the black piece that covers where the mirror is and just either use your hands to pop the panel off or door panel tools

theres not really a 100% way to avoid breaking clips just be careful, and if you do replacement clips are cheap anyway i bought some off clipsandfasteners.com like 25 or 50 for realllllly cheap less then 10 bucks

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I always break the tabs.. thats why i broke alot of them off and just used self-tapping screws and re-attached it. It works, but you can see the screws

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Don't use self tapping screws. That's kind of trashy. If you break the clips, new ones are cheap online or at autozone, advanced, etc.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Just buy a box of new ones at autozone. I'd be amazed if someone could remove a panel without breaking at least one of them...

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ya you almost always going to break one. lets face it they where DESIGNED TO HOLD THE PANEL ON... so if they BREAK while trying to remove... well they are doing there job ;) but ya always have afew good ones still. if ya break afew close together just move afew good clips so they decently equaly spaced. ya dont need them all to hold the panel anyways! dont be afraid your going to break afew cause youll only take alot longer and still if they gonna break they gonna do it either way carefull or not so carefull!

i typically pocket afew extra clips when im at the junkyard when i see some good ones just for spares. but im there buying other parts so im not going to junkyard just for tiny plastic clips. ;) ive never shopped for them at autozone or what not but im sure they sell them!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yp! Those clips break. No way to get around it. You can get away without a full set, but your door panels will rattle over railroad tracks, potholes, etc. 4X4 guys will notice it even more.
The trim around the inner door handles have the clips on the inner part & they clip towards the outside, so they have to be pushed in towards the handles. The opposite of the way you would think that they would go. I had to break a few to figure that out! If you're in doubt, check a few at the wreckers before you sacrifice your own!