How do you know if your truck originally had keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Really, almost every late 400 I have seen with power has keyless entry. At least around here.

Some high optioned beauties! I think I've had 2 ever with factory remote entry; one was my '98 crew cab dually, other was a '98 Suburban parts truck.

I'm sure it's practically nonexistent in 88-94, more of a 95-up option anyway.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Cool,same year as mine.

So,on your ALDL ground pin ''G'',if you have the keyless entry within 2 seconds or so your door locks should lock & unlock.I it tried on my burb and it worked so I got a remote from our local chevy dealer,been working fine for about a year now.This was info from ALLDATAdiy,which I subscribe to.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, or you could just look at the SPID label for RPO code AU0 as mentioned earlier.

Richard

grampadirt

Reaction score
True,but you wouldn't know if it actually worked unless you grounded pin G.I was skeptical since I never had a remote for my burb and wasn't going to buy one for something that didn't work.

Here's the procedure for programming it.

Ground pin G of the Data Link Connector (DLC).

Receiver will respond by locking, and unlocking doors within 2 seconds.

Press any button of the first transmitter to be programmed.
The control module will respond by locking/unlocking doors and activating rear window release.
Press any button of the second transmitter to be programmed (if used).
The control module will respond by locking/unlocking doors and activating the rear window release.
Remove the ground applied to the reprogrammed connector.
Transmitter operation is verified locking and unlocking the doors and activating the rear window release.

Last edited:

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good idea to check its functionality in addition to checking the code.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to check this by grounding terminal G. Sure enough, my locks cycled beautifully.I know I shouldn't be picky seeing that I've just been "gifted" keyless entry but do I have to order the squarish 95 remotes, or can I use one from a different year model, like the rounded style remotes from the 97s?

Last edited:

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my remote from a vendor on ebay. It should be here tomorrow. I found them shipped for $14.xx on many sites but my cheap@$$ got one for $12.99 shipped with a warranty. Thanks for all of yalls help on this one.

grampadirt

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to check this by grounding terminal G. Sure enough, my locks cycled beautifully.I know I shouldn't be picky seeing that I've just been "gifted" keyless entry but do I have to order the squarish 95 remotes, or can I use one from a different year model, like the rounded style remotes from the 97s?

Glad it worked for you :waytogo:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys do you know if I can reprogram an existing remote from another GMT 400, I happen to have a couple of extra GM remotes laying around from trucks that I have put an aftermarket alarm on, and my dually has keyless entry but no remote. I have never messed with the factory keyless entry at all.