How Can I Make My Steering Box One Finger Friendly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GulfCoastGM

Reaction score
Have you considered the fact that the Suburban has a solid front axle and the '95 has independent front suspension? I can't imagine that if the power steering pump and steering gear box are nearly interchangeable, there WOULDN'T be a difference given the difference in steering geometry...

I have owned both an '85 and a '70 Blazer and they were both much easier to steer than my current '95 Tahoe. I'd be willing to bet that this is a case of GM continuing to use parts from earlier models that leads to sometimes less than desirable results. (Depending on your preference, of course.)

Just my two cents.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
Tires? Nah... The '95 box is so heavy, and almost unassisted... Nothing to do with the IFS or solid axle, I had the same complaint on my solid axle '87 with a Lares box. Even just moving it in my driveway the steering is crappy. I can make a video... It's this silly torsion spring

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do believe I read something about the 97 1500. In 97 they started to install speed sensitive steering box, low speed or stopped, my truck is easy to turn with 1 finger. At street speed it stiffens up.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I disconnected the steering speed sensors in both my trucks. POS's when they die, & a PITA to replace.
When they die, they create a bunch of wierd handling quirks, like very twitchy steering, and a feeling of being on ice, just for a second, when changing directions at speed, such as lane changing.
Gotta pull up the column from the floor to change out the sensor. Sounds easy, but the area being worked in is very tight & confined.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
My wife's '86 Accord had speed sens steering, when it started leaking, I disconnected it. The steering was always too stiff, don't recall a difference. I still hv to make a video of the steering effort, but it's been so cold and windy the last few days. Interesting that it took GM 11 years to catch up w the ****, like the 5 speed trannys...

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sewlow, I'm glad you mentioned that. I was just about to go a little crazy, I thought I imagined that twitchy being on ice feeling. Although I noticed it this winter, and actually thought it was ice. It's pretty intermittent so I guess I'll be changing the sensors. How many are there? Has anyone done a writeup?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've seen a write-up on how to replace the speed steering sensor (EVO) quite a while ago on the forum, but disconnecting it solved a lot of the handling issues, without any ill effects that I've noticed. On top of the column just up from the floor is where the sensor wire connection is located.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into it. It hasn't done anything since we've had nice weather, but I would like to change it out

Tomcat71

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
the torsion bar in the steering box itself provides the feed back , the relief valve in the back of the pump is what determines the pressure to provide the assist when turning, I know I swapped out the worn box and pump off my 964wd to the one from my 97 2wd and now its all most too easy to turn. it has alot of assist. and for the record you can just unplug the vov on the bottom of the pump if you are having evo problems.