How Can I Make My Steering Box One Finger Friendly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I recently put a new Lares Steering Gear Box in my '84 Sub and '95 Sub. Both are 3/4 ton 4x4's, and the '95 requires much more effort, and the '84 is 1 touch. I called Lares, and the guy just told me they rebuild em dead stock. I know there;s something about a torsion bar or spring, but how does one identify the 'lite touch" one. I'd really like the EZ to steer in my '93 Silverado pickup, but I don't think Lares cares, and even tho I can buy a box direct from them, it's $157 shipped, Vs $86+SH from RockAuto. Advance will match their price, so I save SH and returning the core!

Attachments

• 7 3 10  93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 024.jpg
    7 3 10 93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 024.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 7 3 10  93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 011 (Medium).jpg
    7 3 10 93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 011 (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 7 3 10  93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 028.jpg
    7 3 10 93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 028.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 7 3 10  93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 019.jpg
    7 3 10 93 Pick Up Mugs Evening 019.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 52

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
How Can I Make My Steering Box One Finger Friendly?

If they are going good for you, you can use only one finger.

If not, you can always use one finger as well. :321:

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Although both are saginaw boxes, they are completely different set ups between the two trucks. Assuming both are stock type steering systems, your 84 is a push pull set-up with power steering and the resevior ontop of the pump for a direct feed, your 95 is most likely a power assist steering, utilizing idler arms and links with a remote resevior. the biggest difference is the power steering vs power assist, best to my understanding, the power assist was incorporated to allow the driver to have a better feel for the road or some BS advertisment. My understanding is that the engineers reduce the fluid volumn to increase the amount of driver input to turn the wheels.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
Hmmm.... The steering boxes very similar, almost to being interchangeable. Remote reservoir is irrelevant, and the new box for one truck went from easy to Trans Am hard. It's all in the torsion spring deep inside. That's what I need an explanation about!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Not much to add except my 98 is a diesel (lots of weight over the nose) and I have a slightly smaller steering wheel instead of the stock one.

It is one finger steering if I want to use it that way.

Never heard of a torsion spring inside the box. It's all pure worm gear to the best of my knowledge. Been a long time since I've had one open though.

They're all looked like this or very similar in my experience:

You must be registered for see images attach

At least the power boxes I've rebuilt have all looked similar....

Last edited:

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I can operate my 97 40,000 mile 2500 pretty easily with one finger....it's easier than any other vehicle I've driven.....

I wonder how much harder it is on yours?

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
Both my Subs are 3/4 ton 4x4 diesels. The '84 is 6.2 NA, the '95 is a 6.5 Turbo Diesel. They are as different as a Ford and a Dodge, not one single part interchanges. But the steering gear boxes are the same internally, but the '84 is on the outside of the frame, the '95 on the inside. Why the diff? Chevy was sued big time for the external fuel tanks behind the rockers on the pickups, (dual tanks optional). So Chevy widened the frame and put the tank inboard on the Tahoe & pickups and it stayed in the back on the Subs.
Anyhow, I changed the box on a '87 I have since sold, and it went from 1 finger lite touch to aforementioned PIA full hand grip. I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.
So I called Lares, they said they rebuild exactly as GM makes them, I said yeah, rite... So when it came time to put one in my '84 Sub (same as '87 I sold, I've had many of these) I called Lares, and they said they'd rebuild my old one for $160 +SH. I decided to by it locally, and it's nice and EZ just like it should be. So next I bot one for the '95, and armstrong PS...
True, the steering wheel is slightly smaller, and they both have oversize 285 tires, but the difference is huge. I often tow a trailer, and backing up is so much easier w the lite steering, using just a finger to flick the wheel. The '95 is a nuisance, even just going down the road and turning into a driveway.
Rest assured, everything is in fine working order. something comes to mind... The '95's Hydro Boost has a slite leak, and I keep it topped up every couple weeks. It's power brakes are kinda spongy. This is most noticeable when switching from the '84. I doubt this has any bearing on the steering effort.
My mention of the torsion spring comes from my conversation w a Lares Tech. He said the "Torsion Spring" is what determines the resistance, or feel.

Attachments

• CIMG0056 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0056 (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
  • CIMG0059 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0059 (Small).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG0055 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0055 (Small).JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 30
  • CIMG0057 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0057 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG0058 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0058 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 26

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
this is what puts the tension on the steering crack the jamb nut loose and the center bolt has an allen head not sure of size but that adjusts the tension hard or easy steering

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
edit: ^ you beat me to it haha..

#5 in the diagram posted above is a provision for adjusting a steering box. Perhaps Lares has it overtightened? Might be worth looking into the procedure on how to adjust it... I've heard of lots of people cranking that adjuster right down tight, and selling a worn out box as "good" or even "rebuilt"..