Hood Release From Outside Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's pretty good to snag that little bitty span of exposed wire. Hell, at that rate you could bend up a coat hanger to get at it too.

I actually grabbed the lever, but the wire may work too. I thought about a coat hanger, but I didn't have one handy, and really preferred something more solid. The wrench is a little short. Something longer would be better, but I was trying to think of something the OP would have on hand.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Ha! As if. In this cold front? I'm in front of a fireplace on the couch right now. That's an a.m. job.

But you're the man thanks for the pointers

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
That's pretty good to snag that little bitty span of exposed wire. Hell, at that rate you could bend up a coat hanger to get at it too.

At any rate, both of your methods are sounding like a PITA right now especially because the truck has this cool looking chrome pipe fence on the front that impedes access to anything on the front end.

Need to come up with a quick mount solution or something for it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ha! As if. In this cold front? I'm in front of a fireplace on the couch right now. That's an a.m. job.

But you're the man thanks for the pointers

Cold front? I'm in Michigan and it was nice out today, finally.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm not a bad idea. ;)

A little video of mine from 2009:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

By the way the reason I created the video was for someone with a broken release cable. You're grabbing the latch itself, so it doesn't matter if the cable is still connected or not.

Richard

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Well shoot. The hood access tricks worked a treat. Thanks guys. However, truck still locked and battery appears to be dead.

Hooked up to jumper cables but not getting any response from key fob still. Not seeing a power lock relay in the engine bay fuse box I could jump either.

Feel like I should have gotten enough juice with cables on to immediately get enough power to cycle the power locks.

Ideas on how else to break in?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well shoot. The hood access tricks worked a treat. Thanks guys. However, truck still locked and battery appears to be dead.

Hooked up to jumper cables but not getting any response from key fob still. Not seeing a power lock relay in the engine bay fuse box I could jump either.

Feel like I should have gotten enough juice with cables on to immediately get enough power to cycle the power locks.

Ideas on how else to break in?

The rods get gunked up and sticky after awhile. My driver's side door won't always work with the remote.... sometimes halfway sometimes not really at all. Try leaving the charger on, and getting that battery up to full power.... and is it a good battery, able to take a full charge?

I've fished a coat hanger down the outside of the glass and unlocked my truck before, but I'm not good at doing it all all. Last time I tried it on the passenger side I only managed to disconnect the outside door handle :-/ I'm not sure it would work for you any way, if you're missing parts in there.