Homemade Semi-Downdraft Paint booth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am in the process of painting my truck at home, I have a 24'x20'x9' garage. My truck is a RCSB, so fitment isn't an issue. I have hung 4mil poly sheet plastic from the ceiling on 3 sides to the ground and weighted the bottom down with 2"4"s so it seals fairly well. I have opened the garage door about 24" and sealed it off at the top. Under the garage door I have sealed with r-30 1/2" plank foam nailed to a frame made of 2"x4"s with a outward pointing fan in the center and a filter on the suction side. I have a attic access panel toward the back of the garage with a paint-booth filter over the hole and a box fan blowing air down that it sucks from the attic thru the filter into the booth and then the air is pulled out the front of the garage by the fan/filter under the garage door. From what I have read this makes my setup a positive pressure semi-downdraft booth. It seems like it seals well. We will be painting on a rainy evening and will we the (already cleaned and mopped) garage floor down prior to spraying. I think I have all my bases covered, does anyone see any issues with this home-brew setup? I don't want to miss the obvious and realize it when the base is flowing. The truck has already been primed and blocked twice and wetsanded with 600, and the passenger door has been edged (it was a donor door). it will be a full-over paint job (no color change). Supposed to spray tomorrow evening so give me some feedback on what you think about my booth and any issues you think I might have.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
My friends dad has a pole barn he uses, runs plastic lengthwise to cut it in half, uses 2x4s to weigh it down, opens the sliding door puts a furnace blower motor at the bottom and seals the top with cardboard, painted many cars in there and never had any issues

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My friends dad has a pole barn he uses, runs plastic lengthwise to cut it in half, uses 2x4s to weigh it down, opens the sliding door puts a furnace blower motor at the bottom and seals the top with cardboard, painted many cars in there and never had any issues

Did just about the samething when i painted both of my other trucks