Hit in rear wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a magnetic base dial indicator on the axle flange to check for lateral run out. Also, pull the diff cover and remove the cross-pin. If it does not side out easy, it could be bent. The estimate just went way up. Diff housing a strong, but can be bent. This will lead to failures of internals like gear-tooth pattern (Clean & Check before taking apart, photo for insurance)

Remember, if this goes into litigation, a vehicle owner will hardly ever win unless you have an ASE Master Tech with you as a witness, with photos and estimates.

I have one new SUV under warranty, that would break the "WAVE" washers that provided preload to a disc-type posi. It would re-occur every 1,200 miles, sending little metal particles onto the 3 channel ABS sensor that was magnetic, setting a code. I had to replace the entire house as it was bent forward and the center. That check is not in the factory service manual.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jack up the rear and place a beer bottle as close to the tire as it will go without touching, turn thr tire and look for runout. If you see runout swap the wheel and tire with a known straight one and retest to check axle flange. Also look around where the axle tube enters the center section for uneven gap front to rear. If you get hit straight on the side usually no problem but hit at an angle can cause trouble.

cso21

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, still waiting on insurance adjuster, sorry for slow updates, family drama, fostering 3 great nephews and 1 great niece,. Moved lot beds and dressers. Now I hit a deer, this could end ugly, will post pics tomorrow, beer time